OT Road tax for 2 days

Car tax runs out the end of this month.

Car being traded in on 2nd of next month.

Don't suppose DVLA's computer would overlook the 2 days and doubt whether the garage will backdate their ownership of the car.

Looks like the best option is to drop the car off on the 28th and manage without until the new one is available on the 2nd.

Don't really want to tax for 6 or 12 months and get 5 or 11 months back.

Any other ideas?

TIA for any.

Reply to
Invisible Man

strongly suggest the new car salesman helps you out with the use of a demo or something else for the 48 (or at least 24) hours?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

IME you have 1 month before the DVLA will issue a fine.

There is still the problem of being caught by ANPR on the way there on the 2nd - how about booking a MOT test?

Reply to
Jim

In article , Invisible Man writes

To be squeaky clean you will have to SORN it and deliver it to the dealer's premises before end of play 28th Feb, that will avoid any audit of the vehicle's history showing it as untaxed. Make sure you send the appropriate parts of your V5 to DVLA (whatever the dealer may say about it) and check that you receive a confirmation of the transfer from DVLA or keep chasing them until they do.

Reply to
fred

Not any more. They expect it to be taxed or SORNED with no leeway.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

yup. And either register a SORN or simply say 'not my car'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

According to our son who is a member of Manchester police, the DVLA, nor the police would get involved until after the time that it takes for the DVLA computer to catch up. I don't know the number of days, but I would expect it to be more than two. The police can phone insurance companies up, but that is subject to even longer delays.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks Dave. I am not so worried about getting pulled over or having the car picked up by a camera. I just think that if I send DVLA notice that I sold the car on the 2nd they will want an explanation of where it was for the 2 days since the road fund license expired.

Reply to
Invisible Man

so:-

could/will they *make* you retrospectively apply for a 6month tax disc from which you subsequently reclaim 5months tax? and is there a fine? Ring em up and ask hypothetically?

faling that tell em you sold it on 28th even though you still drove it (fully insured etc) for 2 days more? if plod's not gonna get you who will?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Get them to collect on trade plates?

Prebook an MOT at the garage, then cancel it when you arrive there?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The garage is going to have to tax it. Why don't you renew the tax as usual and get the garage to adjust the price to inlcude the (6 months

-2days) of tax.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

This happened to the son of someone who works for me - so it does happen

Reply to
geoff

The DVLA computer. It's a source of revenue...

Why don't you just drop it off 2 days early and declare it SORN?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

No garage ever taxes a car. Its SORN or something.

Why don't you renew the tax as

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did that with the daughters car when we met at Warwick services and I brought it up to Preston to get an MOT and looked at for a water leak. Garage owner laughed his head of, but agreed there was nothing the police could do about it, because it was on its way for a pre booked MOT. The law does not stipulate were, or how far away, the MOT station should be. It passed, with no recommendation's, by the way.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I did this for many years when I lived in a bus (which had insurance but no tax.) When eviction / site moving time came, book an MOT, go for MOT, pass or fail, return to new site.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

You do understand the difference between driving a car with no MOT and driving an MOT failure? Check that your insurance is valid if you are driving an un-roadworthy car.

Reply to
dennis

Yes Dennis. WE understand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you sure?.. you do keep coming out with cr@p.

Reply to
dennis

yes its much more serious driving an unroadworthy vehicle than an un-moted one, legally morally and dangerously, but you can fail a MOT if the indicator light flashing indicator bulb is loose!

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]