OT:RIP Jessops

I hope not. I don't want cat hair in my camera.

Reply to
Mark

Generally speaking, I seem to get cads for nothing.

Reply to
Huge

After all, you wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to punch him again.

Reply to
Huge

Because between us and Napoli is a mucking big chain of mountains. Crossing them by car is a relatively short journey. Doing it by train would take a full day because of the need to go to Rome first, the long way round, then change to a different line for Napoli. I think there's also another change in Napoli.

There's also my loathing for rail travel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah that Gracie Fields, she was frightening.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , at 11:08:47 on Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Mike Barnes remarked:

Focus on the positive.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Would you care to enlarge on that remark ?

michael adams

michael adams

I find it half and half. The final fiddling and finishing takes 50% to get it right. Looking back on every major job, it's amazing how quickly the big stuff that makes the most difference goes into place and this somehow fools many people into thinking that the rest of the job should go at the same rate - not so, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only if you fail to reciprocate.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Jethro_uk writes

Out of the frying pan....

Reply to
bert

In message , Tim Streater writes

The Vat is collected in the country in which they are based - Luxembourg for example.

Reply to
bert

Amazon's European operation is based there. But as with Starbucks profits can then be moved to more favourable CT locations. Nothing new in this. In the 50s/60s when movement of capital was controlled international companies could get round the restrictions by transfer of products at reduced value

Reply to
bert

Then there's the 90/10 rule for optimists.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's why the cat had his own personal spot.

Reply to
Adam Funk

In message , Terry Fields writes

Sounds just like ours. We had a free long stay car park on the edge of the town centre, used mostly by in town workers. Council decided to resurface it and introduce rather steep Pay and Display charges. Result

- virtually empty car park and crowded side streets. Pig headed council won't back down and have not even recouped the expenditure after 2 years.

Town centre is dead. No shops so no people. No people so no shops. People put off by high car parking charges.

Edge of town retail park. Free parking Lots of people so lots of shops.

I did read or hear somewhere recently that in theory councils are only allowed to charge enough calculated to operate the charging system and maintain the car parks, and to use it as a cash cow was illegal, but that seems to be widely ignored.

Reply to
bert

Also the snapshot camera has largely been replaced by the mobile phone. Digital has killed film and photo printing.

Reply to
bert

In message , at 13:58:09 on Fri, 11 Jan

2013, bert remarked:

I don't think that's the case, but I think the 'profits' from

*on*-street parking charges are supposed to only be used for subsidising *off*-street parking.
Reply to
Roland Perry

That was a typo. Of course it should be "cars".

Reply to
Mark

In message , michael adams writes

Stop!!

Reply to
bert

That was a joke. I realised it should be "cars".

Reply to
Huge