OT - quick minor grumble 'ehow.co.uk'

Looking for picture hanging hooks.

just talks about drywall and studs.

So the advice is from and for the US.

Why give the site a '.co.uk' address, apart from sucking in unsuspecting punters?

Grump

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Having a bad day Dave?

The term drywall is often found over here. Many houses have drywall construction with studs. A true Merkin site would call it 'sheet-rock' anyway Looking at the home page of that site nearly every item refers to UK or Britain so you are possibly being a little harsh?

Have a nice day!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On Sunday 17 February 2013 13:31 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And they seem to think that cables only run "level" from accessories.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have had a fraught day - see post about 3TB drive - but I noted that the other suggestions were for fixing to rock or to poured concrete.

No information for fixing to brick which I think will cover a lot of UK housing.

UK is usually plasterboard :-)

Or lath and plaster.

All the adverts are UK centric but I gained the distinct impression that the content was US centric and that they had taken a US site, added a '.co.uk' address and UK adverts to increase their global advertising reach.

Haven't checked the voltage on their electrical advice, though.

Should look for the word 'dirt' instead of 'earth'.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I have to mentally screen out Google results from eHow and Fixya as there's is absolutely nothing of any value to humanity on either of these sites.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Are US walls different then? Not looked at one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They're a lot further away than our UK ones.

Reply to
Scott M

Think they sell it as Glidat Strauss.

But they also own Ben & Jerry's. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

They tend more towards timber framed buildings in most areas - presumably because (like many other countries) this is the cheapest and most readily available material.

See howstuffworks on building a house for a slide show which shows a concrete foundation with a wood framed house constructed on top.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

It certainly looks like American origin with some of the articles not being translated into English, e.g. references to

car tires Power cord 120-volt high voltage light bulbs hardware store microfiber color lumber Remove the screen from one window Turn off water faucets while you brush your teeth Save on electricity by turning your thermostat ... and _up_ during the summer.

And some server info:

curlew:/home/mike% whois ehow.co.uk

Domain name: ehow.co.uk

Registrant: eHow

Trading as: Demand Media, Inc.

Registrant type: Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address: 111 N Boulavard 1 Santa Monica CA 93002 United States

curlew:/home/mike% geoiplookup

GeoIP Country Edition: US, United States

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Just FYI, it's probably a regional thing. Where I am in the US, it's almost always drywall and it's quite rare that I hear sheet-rock used.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson