Materials for workbench top (and OT grumble)

First the OT grumble. Using Google (google.co.uk) you used to get an option to select all the web or UK only. When this was removed you could go to

to find this option.

Now this has gone as well and I can't seem to get UK sites ahead of US sites.

I also used to get options down the LHS - have these gone as well or is it me turning on Adblock Plus?

Now the question I was about to Google. What is the best material for a workbench top, if you are going to mount a vice or two, perhaps a pillar drill and bench grinder?

Two materials, perhaps, with the top sacrificial?

MDF has been suggested for a sacrificial top. Oh, and I seem to have quite a bit of spare OSB.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Click on "Search Tools" below the query field, then on the left change "The web" to "Pages from the UK".

Or just include "site:uk" without the quotes in your search terms.

A frame of 3x2 with two layers of 18mm ply, glued and screwed with joins staggered has served my shed well, I do have a leg directly under the vice.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This still has a UK only option.

I just use 2"/50mm joist material for work bench tops..

Reply to
harry

If you fit a vice for woodworking, arrange for the top of the jaws to be above the bench surface (so you can grip and saw stuff without sawing the bench) and don't recess the bench side jaw (you can't grip bent stuff and it will trap your fingers)

Do fit plywood cheeks to protect the work and your nicely sharpened tools:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Also set it up as you want and save it and you will always have the search that way, until your browser forgets your google password of course.. I also turn instant off, what a heap of doggie dodos that feature is.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I made mine by gluing 3x2 timber together. It is supposed to have some hardboard ontop but I have never got a round tuit.

A 3x2 frame with a couple of layers of osb would probably be good.

Reply to
dennis

snip "Also set it up as you want and save it and you will always have the search that way, until your browser forgets your google password of course"

How do you do that? #

I also think the loss of the 'UK Sites only' option is a pita. I know I can get it by going to 'Web' as mentioned above but thats too long winded.

Reply to
Wesley

In message , David.WE.Roberts writes

Have you tried StartPage?

you've got the results of your search at the bottom on the LHS you can select 'Pages from the UK'. There are other reasons for using StartPage that I'll leave you to see.

Reply to
usenet2012

Any good?

then there's: