OT - Parking scam at Lidl

But if that's as long as it takes (and no-one overstays by leaving the site) then there's nothing to be gained from dropping the limit from 2 hours. Since everyone would be in-parked-shopped-out in the 45 minutes it takes. Unless that Lidls car park is a destination in its own right and people go there for the experience - though I can't imagine why.

Reply to
pete

I agree with the penalty charge point, but a contract can be entered into by a company putting up a clear, legible and prominent notice, you reading it and then you taking an action that implies accepting its terms, like parking underneath it.

If these sort of contracts were not legal then the clamping companies would not be the profitable organisations they are in England today.

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

At the moment people know that they cannot park for more than two hours otherwise they will be penalised quite fairly in my opinion. If they reduced it to one hour then in theory it should have twice the parking spaces available for genuine Lidl shoppers, and discourage people who take advantage of Lidl car parking spaces by wandering away to do their shopping at other places. Don Don

Reply to
Donwill

I've got mixed feelings about this. There's a local Tesco/filling station where it's often impossible to park due to others using the carpark to go to the next door Argos, which doesn't have a carpark.

If a store offers free parking they can impose any conditions they choose. And it would be difficult to vary those for high demand parking over when that store isn't busy.

There's a lot to be said for paying for that parking and being able to claim that cost back after spending more than a certain sum in that store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you seen the cost of providing a tarmaced car park?

Would you want it abusing?

Reply to
John

It would only double the capacity if everyone who uses it now stayed to the maximum time allowed - 2 hours. However if they only stay for the time it takes them to shop, then until the parking time limit is less than this, no reduction will have an effect. What Lidl have done in this case is effectively say "you can only stay for as long as your shopping in the store takes, OR for 2 hours: whichever is the shorter". Since we've agreed that the median time is somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes the 2 hour limit becomes moot. Consequently reducing this will not increase the number of vacant parking spots.

Reply to
pete

No, we haven't agreed that. It's merely been asserted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Charging £90 for parking 3 minutes over in a "Free" car park cannot by any stretch of their imagination be described as fair.

Even if a claim against the motorist was to succeed the car park operator can only claim for their losses (Or the actual cost to them).

If they say the car park is free then out of their own mouths they have established the cost basis of operating the parking space. In this respect t is immaterial where you go once you have left the car.

If Lidl want to reserve spaces for/give precedence to their own customers whilst in the store they can do so 1000 ways without trying to take £90.00 off of ordinary shoppers.

In fact one wonders what the magical attraction of the £90.00 charge is. - Oh yes I forgot, you can spend it . :-))

If you are trying to tell us you would move your car out of a supermarket car parking space if you had to go to a Bank or the Post Office, in the full knowledge that there would be no parking there I don't believe you.

Pull the other one - it's got bells on.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Given that some councils are contracting parking enforcement out to cowboy organisations, just as Lidl have done, what are the legal implications of that? Presumably the council will be the ones taking you to court, the ticket having been issued on their behalf. I suppose it's unlikely Lidl would take you to court, whereas the council might well do.

Reply to
stuart noble

AFAIAA these charges are uneforceable ...

Reply to
Jethro

The point that you (and everyone else it would seem) are missing is that it is not a _public_ car park, it is _Lidl's_ car park. I assume that when Lidl were spending the time, money and effort to build a car park outside their shop, they were intending it to be for their own customers. The fact that they didn't explicitly state this on a sign somewhere, or barrier it off to all except Lidl customers should not matter. The car park is on their land, outside their store, so by implication the car park is for their customers.

If your house has a driveway and/or a garage, the builder put it there for the homeowner to use, not the public.

If you want to go to the bank or the Post Office and do general shopping, use a public car park.

Reply to
John

This is contentious. No UK court has ruled that it *is* acceptable ...

A *clamping* company has one advantage: they will get their money before the clamp comes off.

If someone were to get their car clamped, and then apply to the courts to instruct the clampers to remove the clamp (and file a civil suite for damages) then a court would be able to rule on the validity of the contract. Many people have speculated it would not withstand such scrutiny. Otherwise you, or I could put a small sign on our front door saying that we charge =A310 to press the doorbell ...

Reply to
Jethro

Then all bets are off.

But the Council still have to comply with rules re signeage and double yellow lines etc. It seems many don't. (Eg. double yellow lines have to be "closed" at the ends with a yellow bar at ninety degrees)

Yes but at least you have right of appeal at a legally constituted tribunal, unlike Shyster, Grabbit & Waltzoff.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Local authorities have powers granted by statute, and (presumably) are entitled to devolve these powers to contracted bodies.

The agency in question here has no statutory standing.

Reply to
Jethro

What are Lidl currently spending per square metre on tarmaced carparks, John? Presumably you know since you're blathering on about it, so share the information with us. Otherwise we'll think you're just another of those sad internet blowhards.

What difference does it make whether "you" want it abusing or not? When "Another Dave" said he didn't want to pay ninety quid, you dismissed his opinion out of hand... just as we're dismissing your cretinous pronouncements (although, obviously, in that case with good grounds).

Nobody's forcing Lidl to provide a tarmaced carpark or any other sort of carpark. They're made a business decision to do so. Allying yourself with ex-cons and attempting to extort ninety quid from regular customers is a rather less intelligent business decision.

Reply to
mike

Yes, it does, John. Lidl say so on the notice. 2 hrs parking for customers. If you want to bum round on site for 2 hrs and leave with nothing more than a tin of beans, that's fine with them. It must be terribly frustrating for you that reality doesn't coincide with your fantasy world.

And what planet do you live in where people are queuing up to get in a Lidl carpark?

And I'll bet you're wearing your mother's clothes whilst her corpse moulders in the cellar. It's all supposition isn't it, John?

If... maybe... felt...

Thanks for sharing your daydreams, John.

Reply to
mike

T%hey can build a full scale model of the Empire State Building for all I care.

Well it does, trust me.

Perfectly fine. Motorists parking without the permission of Lidl are trespassers. There is provision within the law for them to get redress through the courts, story - end of.

Correct, if someone uninvited were to park on my drive I'd tell them to leave. I don't recall Lidl doing any such thing Re: their car park, it would seem to be a rather ridiculous thing to do.

BTW I believe the law treats trespassers on commercial properties differently to trespassers in someone's house and the police would remove them, Viz Centre Point. They most certainly wouldn't expend their resouces moving cars from Lidl's car park.

I keep asking this ... :-((

Are you trying to tell us you would move your car out of a supermarket parking space if you had to go to post a letter, pay in a cheque (etc) even if you knew there would be no parking available near the postbox , bank etc ?

If so I don't believe you.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

All in all they fall down on about 10 grounds.

There is nothing about them which is legal.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The OP is a customer of Lidl. So where's the problem?

Reply to
Clive George

You must be so proud that you know so much better than the corporate lawyers Lidl and others employ.

Reply to
BruceB