OT - Modern Hygeine

Amazing how we survived roller towels in public toilets!

Reply to
John

Not really.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not really.

My tongue was in my cheek!

I really meant the endless loop of ordinary towelling over a wooden roller - not the gleaming white cabinet that was properly serviced (Eg. Initial)

Reply to
John

I never use any towel that is in 'general' use - rather my own whatever on my hands than a mixture from others.

Reply to
PeterC

That's why there are so many health problems these days. Kids are so cocooned when young that they have no immunity to anything anymore.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

There is a fairly well founded theory that giving the BCG (anti-tuberculosis) vaccine to infants could prevent asthma in later life. Unlike some vaccines, which simply stimulate the generation of antibodies, BCG has aan effect at a cellular level that it is thought would strengthen the entire immune system. Unfortunately, the professor investigating it was unable to get funding for a trial, even though I agreed to provide the 1,500 vaccination devices he would have needed free of charge.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm old enough to remember being innoculated for Hansen's disease. I'd just about got my hands immune when they fell off.

I remember being told of my granddad dying in a sanitorium for TB, in the good old days, after getting gassed in WW1.

It turned out he'd run off with some tart. Just goes to show you can keep a good pneumococci down.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Agreed. I was brought up with dogs, hens, farm animals and also had all the childhood diseases including polio (full recoverry, thanks to my father).

As teenagers, my brother and I had a fight and both of us ended up in a stream that, in Summer, was about 75% 'treated sewage. We had puncture wounds from thorns in the stream but, apart from dad insisting on hosing us down, suffered no ill effects.

Modern kids get diseases if they have to walk ½ a mile to school.

Reply to
PeterC

Why? Do you wash your hands then? No-one else seems to bother.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is why I don't touch the door with my hand!

Reply to
John

Reply to
geoff

Our primary school allows them to walk exactly 1.2 miles to the parish church twice a year[1] and 1.2 miles back - not bad for 5 year olds!

[1] Leavers thingy and Xmas carols.

And they kick them outside in all weathers unless they forgot their coats or wellies :)

I sometimes think: backwater rural areas are the only places left where sanity (mostly) can still be found...

Reply to
Tim Watts

What do you use to open it then :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Best if you use a paper towel or tissue to open the door, then throw away the tissue in the nearest bin.

Use a public lavatory which doesn't have a door, but has a labyrinth portal.

Or wait until somebody else opens the door.

As a last resort, use your little finger at the very end of the door handle, then use your pocket pack of antibacterial gel to cleanse your hands. In fact, you could treat the door handle with said gel on a paper towel, to try to reduce the contamination caused by those dirty b4$tards who don't wash their hands.

Reply to
Frank Erskine