OT ish Slow Windows

Yet they are almost always working and when they aren't its usually the server that's down (running linux?).

Reply to
dennis

Win10 took less than that and I didn't need to enter anything other than my password.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed if only you'd have been around at the time to advise John Warnock, just think of how successful he might have been. Let's just hope he's not reading this NewsGroup and finally realises his big mistake.

michael adams

michael adams

That's why linux does so poorly, you have to do exactly that from a choice of a few dozen distros.

If you have windows 7/8 the install of win10 will be automatic if you accept the upgrade. Doing it my way just avoids you having to do the old windows first (that's probably from a recovery partition not dvd).

Reply to
dennis

GEM was a Digital Research product. If Gary Kildall hadn't decided to swan off playing golf/flying his plane when big blue made an appointement to call, and/or if Kildall's wife had realised the advantage of signing a non-disclosure agreement then it would have been DR DOS and subsequently GEM that would dominated the desktop. For a while until Kildall got bored. Although saying that his CP/86 was also bundled with the original PC. It was pre-loaded PC Dos* which initally dominated the marketplace. As with Kindall's big mistake, Gates only got where he is today by IBM making one of the worst business decision in history - allegedly - by allowing Gates to market the OS he sold to them - as new improved MS Dos. But Gates and M$ can hardly be blamed for that.

There was GUI for PC's which predated GEM by 2 years called VisiON which was launched in 1983. VisiOn was a commercial failure as a result of high system requirements, much higher than were common at the time. It was this failure which allegedly gave Gates pause for thought and determined#terminated the limitations of the earliest versions of Windows

All of them are, or are not, as with the Mac GUI knockoffs of concepts first developed at Xerox Parc. According to taste,

michael adams

  • Which itself had originally been bought by Gates as QdDos from an outfit in Seattle and which contained what Kildall swore were identifiable chunks of his own code
Reply to
michael adams

tony sayer wrote: And printing/PDFs with a watermark would be a bit of a pain.

It's not just a waternark in WPS's PDFs. It's in all prints. This is possibly new since you used it - introduced since WPS took over from Kingsoft.

Does TB now support VBA macros? I don't use/support many for Outlook but at my time of life it'd be a pain to have to rewrite them.

But it's *not* free with support for VBA macros.............?

Reply to
Robin

Not so. You can do a repair install and it will keep all the documents and stuff. you can also upgrade to a new version and it will keep the user stuff.

BTW windows won't automatically delete a linux install but linux will delete a windows install, without asking the last time I tried.

Reply to
dennis

Really? Can you point me to where I can get a free linux RailMaster from? Will it work with an eLink controller?

How about the camera software for controlling my IP cameras?

How about the software for managing my auto feed scanner and replacement for PaperPort 14 pro?

Then there is the simple camera software that downloads and automatically corrects the compact camera images.

Then there is the software that allows you to control my Olympus DSLR over USB and the similar one for the Lumix compact which includes live view over IP.

Maybe but they are just a tiny subset of software that many people need to use. I see a significant problem.

Reply to
dennis

Use gentoo linux, it downloads and compiles everything to make an install..

Reply to
dennis

Which hasn't been true for years.

Reply to
dennis

Nobody has said that in this thread, some have said linux is great without pointing out the obvious problems it has.

Reply to
dennis

Do I take it you don't know how to install a spiel chucker on linux?

Reply to
dennis
8<

So which apps do you run that don't run on windows anyway?

Reply to
dennis

other people who aren't vendors offer them for free too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't believe that post Heartbleed you're still peddling that rubbish.

There's a hell of a lot _more_ malware for Windows, and there are a hell of a lot of Windows users who don't know what they are doing, and since they own most of the computers so they are the biggest target.

But Windows does _not_ have a monopoly on malware.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Dennis. You are 20 years behind the times.

I haven't explicitly complied anything fore at least 10 years to run Linux.

And even then it was only weird stuff to play with.

I can cope with you liking windows, but not totally utter ignorant attacks on Linux that simply bear no resemblance to reality

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dennois. You have a problem. You are clutching at any straw to defend windows the way Harry defends renewable enertgy. Let me gues: you are a certified lunatic^H^H^H^H^HMicroshit support cl0ne

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only the big systems. A lot of the little ones have something smaller.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Windows will ALWAYS delete a Linux install but Linux never deletes a windows install without asking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You bought a camera that needs windows software to control it?

How 20th century..:-).

Golly - the killer app of tje 20th century. PaperPort Pro!

Has anyone even heard of it?

prettyu standard.

But most of us by camereas that do that already or dont need it done.

No probes doing that on linux here for my nikon.

So do I - you have bought a load of crap that depends- or has made you think it depends - in windows, to operate.

I am afraid that in your case Dennis, installing Linux will not make you suddenly not a total sucker and a complete plonker. You are one of thw very few people who should stay with windows until they prise it out of your cold dead hands.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher