OT ish Slow Windows

That's totally untrue. Nowhere have I said 'windows is great, windows is good' or anything remotely resembling that. My particular needs are met using Windows. I have invested significantly in software over the years and, yes, Linux does have some good software. It does not have the complete answer to all my needs whereas Windows does. Am I a lesser person for that?

If it makes you feel any better, have it your way. Just out of curiosity; is it Linux which does all your typos, or just your own low standards? ;)

Reply to
Richard

His point is that ubiquity equates to quality.

Of course it doesn't. Its classic FUD as in 'no one ever got sacked for buying IBM'

Even Microsoft itself has problems reading microsoft office generated files as anyone with any real experience knows.

Unless you have the same version and the same fonts installed, what you get may be anything from a blank refusal to open the bloody thing to a crazy unformatted mess.

Which is why despite Adobe's software being a bug ridden disaster and postcript being probably the worst ever page description language it is possible to write, a PDF with embedded fonts is now the de facto document exchange format.

Not MS word....

That doesn't make PDFs great - they are not - they are crap - but it is a standard that MS office is simply not.

The point is simple: even if you DO use MS word on MSwindows you are STILL screwed in document interchangeability.

As far as Excel etc goes, anyone who uses a spreadsheet rather than code against a database for anything more complex than a marketing document is probably a tosser anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its my worn out keyboard, failing eyesight and complete contempt for your posts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By todays standards 3.5Mbs is quite slow. My ADSL2+ connection gets 6.5 down. Luckily the fibre cabinet has just been put in place, so I will soon have a decent speed of up to 76 down. I am quite close to the cabinet (200yards) so I should get near the maximum speed.

Reply to
Bod

Lst week a friend here brought a new laptop, it has windows 8 so I said: can't fix, won't fix, I'm retired and I don't know anything after XP. Yesterday he said he needed Word, but wasn't happy because he no longer understood the versions after circa 2003 and he wasn't happy about paying for it either given the new netbook only cost ?60 on ebay. So I suggested he download Open Office, I assured him it would open all the documents he was ever likely to receive and produce all the ones he was ever likely to write. He did so, and now he has a perfectly capable Office that actually works in a familiar way.

Reply to
DJC

True. It was that when we moved here 5 years ago. Then I got the house phone wiring redone (incl. disconnecting the bell wire) and it went straight up to 6.5Mbps. Then a year ago some scroats removed 400 yards of the 400-pair cable between us and the exchange (a bit over a mile away). Openreach replaced it within 24 hours but the extra joins in the cable have reduced the speed.

But - I get FTTC in a week or two and the box is 300 yards away.

That's the ticket :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

*In case some of you haven't heard of this*

I've just found out that a Windows compatible office program is available on Android Cost *£13.99p SoftMaker Office HD Handy for Tablets especially.

"SOFTMAKER HAS ANNOUNCED that it will release a version of its Office suite for Android with features to match the Windows version."

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Use this one, works fine:)....

and its free...

tony sayer

Good for some, I'm sure! The only tablets in this house have pharmacy labels on them. Again, you want it to look like Windows, you pay somebody money. Wow.

Reply to
Davey

I am not now nor have I ever been an IT professional so I don't quite understand what you mean by "command". All I know is that last time I looked at LibreOffice it seemed to me the objects and methods in its Basic were significantly different from VBA (just as it says in the Libre Office help pages). But I am willing to be educated. Could you give an example of a macro you have translated from VBA to LibreOffice so I can see how easy it is to find the equivalents? (I assume you are basing your statements on evidence from practical examples from your or others' experience.)

[1] oh look - it still does at
Reply to
Robin

Very good :-)

Reply to
Bod

I was only giving the heads up on the program, ie; I was trying to help and inform. I'm not into all of this one upmanship arguments crap.

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Yes, but for many people accessing that sort of info is actually quite hard. My FIL has tried before now, but he just gets bogged down and lost. A search ends up with multiple threads form various places, with contradictory information etc. when all he wants is an answer. Sure I can manage to filter that sort of stuff down, but for many/most users it's quite difficult.

Fortunately, as we run the same OS I can normally manage to help him out.

Reply to
Chris French

Thnaks for that. But while I may be missing something (the more so as wine has been taken) it seems to say that the Free Personal Edition

*doesn't* have VBA/Macro support. Unless of course I am misunderstanding the meaning of the red cross and the green tick :)

And printing/PDFs with a watermark would be a bit of a pain.

The business edition which does have VBA/Macro support looks cheap at GBP61.45 compared to MS Office at first blush. But ISTM even the business edition WPS is word processor, spreadsheet and presentation only. So that looks to be equivalent to MS Office Home & Student which can be had for c.GBP70. At times in the past for a good deal with a .ac.uk address - such as can be had relatively cheaply by signing up to U3A ;)

Reply to
Robin

That's true of windows and other OSes. You can run applications and never see the OS if you want to. An example is a cash machine, you don't see the windows or other OS unless there is a fault.

Reply to
dennis

I dunno either. But what I do know was that the missus used to receive documents from the Unit and other places that OO and LO didn't or could open properly however the paid for version of WPS worked and there were no further complaints at all:)

I use it, the Free version, mainly for spreadsheets and the odd letter and its fine for what I need of it....

Use cute PDF and there are others that work fine and are free...

Well isn't that all you need?. Use TB for the mail ..

Perhaps not everyone can do that. Anyway try it and see how you get on its free ...

Reply to
tony sayer

Exactly the same as open office then.

That's because PDFs are cross platform, which office wasn't. It is now so using word formats are not a problem any more, you can even read them on linux if you want to. M$ provide software to read word documents for free on windows and mac and you can even use them on linux.

Its probably better to use word format rather than PDFs for many things but I just use whatever I feel like and word will do PDFs with ease.

BTW it looks like M$ are the only major vendor offering tools to build apps that run on all the main platforms and they are free.

Reply to
dennis

In article , bert scribeth thus

Me too!.. Good olde Turnpike:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

Most of the small ~10 inch and less windows machines come with free office these days. Does he have the license keys so he can install it if he wants to?

Reply to
dennis

But if you want to be able to use it and buy games and other useful stuff that works out of the box you buy windows or a mac. If you are running linux then you have to investigate everything very carefully to see if it will work with or without having to recompile or rewrite it.

Reply to
dennis