OT ish Slow Windows

No, but I don't let unattended upgrades happen nor do I leave my desktop on 24x7.

Many upgrades require user input anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Windows update manages to put the updates on the system which is all the user cares about. Most never require a reboot either. Not that you would know because all your windows "knowledge" comes from some hate pit somewhere in lala land, probably from someone like harry.

Reply to
dennis

Not on windows they don't, the odd one might if its a new feature you need to agree to. Must be a TNP linux thing.

I thought some distros did work without input but I guess yours is the odd one out.

I suppose it has to ask so it can stop all the user processing while it does a "seamless" kernel upgrade as it can take rather a long time and you don't want the user thinking its died, its probably quicker to reboot but its not so nerdy.

Reply to
dennis

Oh dear that makes it the same as chrome, android, ios, OSX and ubuntu, mint, etc., at least windows tells you and you can change the defaults if you are paranoid. Not that that stops anyone collecting you web habits whatever OS you are using.

Reply to
dennis

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Well just like a PABX - I did say it was produced by a telephone company.

Reply to
bert

Xerox and DEC were early players in the ethernet scene. XNS (Xerox Network System) formed the basis of the early ethernet implementations. I was implementing such systems commercially in about 1983. ICL had company wide network at the time. IBM of course refused to accept anyone else's standards and came up with their utterly hopeless token ring system. - "some of our tokens are missing" was often the despairing cry in network Support. The mainframe suppliers including ICL were determined that the mainframe would remain king and control the network and of course they were ultimately proved totally wrong.

I first came across TCP in about 1983/4 with a bespoke office system when Mini's first appeared. Can't remember what it was called but dumb terminals hung of the central system which provided e-mail, word processing and a few applications. Spreadsheet database and the like. This is what I was told at the time. TCP or Transaction Control Program, was produce by General Motors as part of a batch system to control demand and supply of parts around their production lines. You know the sort of thing - punched cards input and pages and pages of printout of which only about two were relevant. Then they went to interactive input and TCP/IP was born - the IP bit stranding for interactive protocol. I can't vouch for this other than it's what I was told in marketing briefings.

ICL took the system and transferred it to UNIX and sold it as Officepower. No idea how many they sold. I put one into Sandwell Hospital in Birmingham.

Reply to
bert

Oh. So the running programs haven't had the update applied?

Isn't that a bit of a problem if they are services that never restart and are available from the network?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Sorry and all that but this is c*ck, I'm afraid. TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol and IP stands for Internet Protocol.

Mmmmm no, not really. See here:

Reply to
Tim Streater

Researchers working at Bell Labs are credited with the development of radio astronomy, the transistor, the laser, the charge-coupled device (CCD), information theory (Claude Shannon), the UNIX operating system, the C programming language, S programming language and the C++ programming language. Eight Nobel Prizes have been awarded for work completed at Bell Laboratories.

And not mentioned on there is John.L.Kelly maybe most famous for his staking system - the Kelly System first published in the form of an incomprehensible formal proof in the Bell Labs Technical Journal. He also devised roulette systems with Claude Shannon a colleague at Bell Labs.

michael adams

michael adams

Normally the update will restart them if they are daemons.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. IP stands for

I am not sure what your are on, but your memory seems to be scrambled.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can also do stuff with the shadow copy locking facility... that's how backup programs are able to get access to files that applications have an exclusive lock on.

Reply to
John Rumm