OT ish EPG on satellite TV

Bought an LG TV with an LNB input. Astra 28.2 ish is the satellite I wish to connect to.

The TV isn't Freesat and another one I have in use has an EPG that sometimes displays the channel after you have viewed it. Then it is only that channel for that time slot. I have occasionally had the following program displayed but this is rare.

Is there any way of adding an EPG to a none Freesat device?

LNB inputs seem to have a low profile in many manufacturers lists of attributes. Maybe the lack of an EPG is the reason?

Regards

HN

Reply to
hugh neary

On 28.2E there are two EPGs (Sky's and FreeSat's) both of which are encrypted so they aren't available to "bog standard" DVB-S1/S2 devices, just the now/next info is available.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Likely the manufacturers don't wont the cost and difficulty of incorporating the Freesat epq. One solution would be to use a separate linux receiver.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I thought it was probably something like that. Oddly enough every satellite box carries an EPG although all those I have used are as minimal as the LG.

Trying to find which TV had an LNB input was a major challenge. I suppose Freeview has limited the appeal of Astra's freebies.

HN

Reply to
hugh neary

I've got a biggish LG with Freeview and Satellite (HD). Its remote has a "Guide" button which shows the EPG's (satellite takes a few minutes from cold). There's also a "List" button that just shows the channel names, not programme content, but works instantly (nothing to download).

If your remote has similar buttons why woulldn't it not show an on-screen EPG.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

The remote guide button shows an on screen EPG, but all it is is empty timeslots. I can fill the current timeslot by opening the channel [defeats the object a bit though]

An odd few boxes are filled in and exceptionally the next program sometimes also. That's it though!

My TV was bought in Ireland, perhaps that makes a difference. I have a new English Freeview LG now that I intend to take over, so I'll see if theres a difference.

The Irish TV has never had a software u/g. I'll give this a try also.

I can't try the new LG here as I never had the incentive to stick a dish up and conditions dont allow for a quick point & try

HN

Reply to
H. Neary