OT..best broadband provider?

Not sure I understand what you mean there...

I would expect all ISPs to block email senders attempting to connect from outside their netblock (unless they use authenticated SMTP). PlusNet however will allow you to send email from any domain you like on their SMTP servers so long as it is a real domain with a resolveable address.

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR that the OP said that there was no cable in the area

Reply to
geoff

What do you mean by this?

Could you give more details? I have no problems using either google-groups, or sending and recieving email using my demon account through plusnet.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The plusnet binary server is supposed to give around a week IIRC, on all groups, and good completion on one server. We'll see. It seems likely that it'll be a couple of weeks before it's fully live, at the moment it's just feeding from the existing server.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A friend has Bulldog and says it is brilliant. fast and cheap.

the Tiscali cheap deal. Most people don't really need zippo performance, but still vastly superior to dial-up.

Reply to
IMM

A lot!

Reply to
IMM

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Broadback wrote: | > As Ian is hoping to get a little bonus (not a big hefalump) you may be | They promised me elephants!

African, Indian, or plastic christmas-cracker toy?

| I clearly remember it, the director of plusnet came to me in his | ceremonial robe of many colours, proclaimed by his herald angels, and | stated that I get one elephant for every customer I help to sign up, | before he handed me the contract written on a deep-pan anchovy pizza, | and left on his winged steed. |(a Mini-Cooper with the pegasus option.) | IMO, this is a binding legal document, though strangely I seem to have | misplaced it at the moment.

Please m'Lud, I aver that although I ate the contract ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Zen internet!! come out top in most of the reviews. Probs a bit more expansive than others but you get what you pay for.

Jt

Reply to
John

In message , Grunff writes of AOL

That I disagree with - 0800 unrestricted access to very helpful CS is not what I'd call appalling.

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

individual.net gives over a month on text groups

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I started with Demon, went to Pipex, then Plusnet and am now with Vispa.com who I think are the best so far. The main thing that impresses me is the fact that you get to speak to "the man who presses the buttons" when you phone for support, which is rarely required in my experience (2 years).

I left Plusnet because they now refuse to communicate via email and want you to use thier non standard website form which only works if you use particular OSs. They even have the cheek to sense that what you are using is not on thier "know about" list and so assume that is it not capable of reading their poorly written HTML. But then I am well known as expecting too much compatibility with laid down web / Usenet standards. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

What is the cheapest monthly rental, at any speed, with free modem and connection? There were a few of these deals around.

Reply to
IMM

IMM, is your statement above a question or an answer? How does it help the OP who asked for recomendations?

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Clearly a Q.

It is me asking the Q.

Reply to
IMM

The very cheapest packages will be speed restricted and may well be volume restricted as well. Also, you may have to sign up for 12 months wich can be a pain if they turn out to be crap

Searching this thread

find loads of relevant information

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

a good idea of what you can get for your money and includes free equipment

Reply to
Nick Brooks

> Gives a good idea of what you can get for your money and includes free > equipment

The cheapest deal does not even allow to access the news server. The cheapest deal with a news server is 19.99 and all have a £59 cancellation fee. Always a catch.

Reply to
IMM

You pays yer money and takes yer choice. It's the same with power tools and boilers, and everything else for that matter

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Yes, I had an argument with them about this recently.

They send a normal E-Mail to you about something (e.g. approaching the limit of hours on your account) but then if you reply to it using E-Mail you get an automated response saying you have to use the Web form! They also got all stroppy when I stopped my direct debit after they'd suspended my account for exceeding maximum hours allowed. I have no problem with them suspending my account but expecting me to continue to pay for it seemed a bit much, especially as they kept sending me E-Mail about it but then refusing to listen to my replies by E-Mail.

I quite like PlusNet in many ways, they provide a good service, but some details of the way they do it are not so good.

Reply to
usenet

First one.

Don't confuse the provider of connectivity with teh provider of servoces.

e.g. I am on Demon for connectivity, but my e-mail is handled by Claranet. A damn good supplier of hosted services. The only demion tins I use are the news server (execrable really) and the upstream SMTP relay.

You can subscribe to many news servers of far better quality than most ISP's by paying extra money.

BT is OK ish for connectivity. But forget their services - use Someone elses.

I think Clara do broadband via BT linkes - have a look at www.clara..net. Their mail spam filters are wonderful. Not a single spam message since I tuned up the flters, and even in the spam mailbox I set up (designed for 'might be genuine's) only one spam message and one virus all week.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher