OT: Anyone using Opera 12 browser?

I'm using Opera 12 (later versions are based on Chrome) and it has been marvellous for keeping a bunch of tabs in place (21 at the moment) without using lots of memory.

For the last couple of days, I've suddenly hit memory problems with Opera, with it going up to 1.5gb or more instead of the expected few hundred k. Also, it has started opening tabs on top of but smaller than the previous tabbed screen.

Has anyone else seen this, or is there some button that I've pushed that has broken it?

Reply to
Bill

I'm on 12.15, heavily modified, and it doesn't seem to eat too much RAM - although Flash has an effect. I can't think of anything that would do this, unless the cache settings are borked. I use the stand-alone setup, so every so often the whole folder is copied to E:-drive and can be put back on D: if needed. The Bookmarks, Cookies etc. files are easy enough to copy alone, so if anything does go wrong they can be hooked out, the rest ditched and the back-up re-instated.

Reply to
PeterC

I have 16 tabs open in IE ATM, it is using 525M of RAM.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for the replies. I've hit "Delete Private Data", which deletes the cache amongst other things and it seems back to normal with no nested sites. The Opera.exe process is using 588mb of RAM with 18 tabs open, but it does seem to be creeping up steadily.

Reply to
Bill

I stopped using Opera when the removed the Home button. Has it been put back yet?

Reply to
Andrew May

I've got a Home button my (opera 12.16) toolbar - you can customise the toolbar to show whichever buttons you want (or not)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I am downloading tons of charts daily in Firefox and have to manually delete the downloads folder all the damned time to stop it stultifying.

There used to be a service I could click on in preferences to do that automagically, or was that Opera?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just wanted to say thank you for your weather charts. Thank you.

Keep your ****ing ashes!! What the hell use are they anyway? (Yes I know! About as much use as a British national side in any sport played in the ashes of our empire.

It wasn't always like that. Bastard!)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'm up to Opera 18 and it I don't think that has any way of customizing the toolbar. It has back / forward / refresh and a start page button that takes you to the speed dial page with a google search bar.

Doesn't seem to be any way of adding a home page but I would welcome being proved wrong.

Reply to
Andrew May

Can't blame the Aussies. Our lot played like a complete bunch of yo-yos and allowed them selves to be intimidated off the pitch.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are right, there aren't the customisation options in the later versions of Opera.

When they changed last year from using Presto to webkit and then Blink/Chromium I think they rewrote the whole thing and it lost lots of features, one being the customizations like the toolbar buttons available.

There may be extensions available to help with this I don't know, or go back to 12.16

I was an early Opera user, I even paid for it way back in the late 90's version 3.something But somehow it seemed it lose it's way for me (it was the lack of built in spellchecker for a long time that did it for me I think.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Andrew May writes

I've now given it time after "Deleting Private Data" and it seems just about OK. The memory usage is much higher that I remember, though, and seems to waver between 500 and 700 megs, which is about twice what I see for Firefox when it is running normally with a good few tabs.

I tried Opera 15, but it did nothing that I wanted, so I went back to this 12.16. Before I hit this memory problem its great advantage was that memory use didn't creep up. Firefox remains terrible for that.

I suppose the next step is to reinstall and see if that brings the positives back.

Reply to
Bill

I really don't care that Firefox is currently using about 1.3 GB (15 tabs right now - many more earlier). Got plenty still available...

Reply to
polygonum

On 12 it's right click on empty area of toolbar and select 'customize' on mine. I didn't know about newer releases (I thought I was on auto update) but if they've gone the way of Chrome with a minimalist interface that leaves you unable to find anything then I'll stay where I am.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've been an Opera user since around v.3 (when you had to pay for it). I downloaded and installed v.18 on my laptop over lunchtime. It looks like you're right (apologies for harbouring doubts).

Another case of Hutber's law ("improvement means deterioration": founded on the cynical observation that a stated improvement actually hides a deterioration) I fear. As a commentator in the Opera forum observed, how can the maker of a browser with a minimal market share think it a good idea to do away with bookmarks? Yes, there's something else instead but I lost the will to live at that point.

Not everyone loves Microsoft :) but from the mid-1990s they gave us a regime where you could install and start using almost any program without needing a manual - File, New, type stuff, hit the print button to print, hit the floppy disk icon to save and so on. We seem - bizarrely - to be moving into an era where making programs unfathomable is seen to be a cool idea. Or me having passed 60 is starting to tell!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Sorry i cant help you .. maybe i just have info for you to get best seller product update rate and prize product here http://j.gs/3HF0

Reply to
Best Seller

I didn't know about newer releases (I thought I was on auto update)

I can identify with that. My phone updated it's CCTV camera viewing app sometime recently and it stopped working. Took me 2 hours of buggering about to get back to the original app which had been renamed. The new all singing dancing app which I tried was a disaster. As has been said so often if it aint broke don't fix it! They not only broke the Android version, but also the iphone version-----a real success not. My computers don't have auto update and they are stable, her computers do have auto update and are a continuous source of unwanted maintenance work for me.

Reply to
Capitol

I think where printers are concerned, you are engaged in wishful thinking. I've never had a MS machine with a networked printer which stayed working for more than a couple of months. There was a thread on The Register recently complaining about just this fact. Only my Linux machines and her ipad print reliably. Re-installing printers is one of my many unwanted time wasting hobbies.

Reply to
Capitol

I've been using a networked printer for years. My current one has been running for, probably, 4 years. I've never had any problems. Win on Win

7, but I used XP before that.
Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Ditto, multiple machines here, some running for a few years, once setup there has been no problems.

Reply to
chris French