OT: Anyone using Opera 12 browser?

Capitol

And it's Apple that Tony was thinking of, not MS, and it was the mid-1980s.

In those days the PC-dweebs were giving all the Mac users grief about how stupid a mouse is and how doing things from a command line was so much more powerful. This attitude persisted well into the Windows 3 era.

MS needed several goes to get Windows to anything approaching a useable state. Win98 was usable if you were careful.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Can't tell on the couple of months, but I was seriously impressed when I bought a new Dell Windows 8 tablet just before Christmas and it linked itself up with my network laser without my intervention.

Back in UK we had a six-bin Canon PageStation laser/copier and once we'd got past the trials of making it talk to the network it worked brilliantly for years.

When I was selling DOS software printer issues were the overwhelming source of tech support queries. The best part of transitioning to Windows was that these all but disappeared.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks for that reminder. I was thoughtlessly tempted to believe him. The r eason I eventually became a Linux user after procrastinating soooo damn lon g was Windows' sheer bloody mindedness.

How anyone could be bothered with Microsoft after HAVING to load all sorts of 3rd party ware -and update most of it manually (and all the security thi rd partyware every couple of days and run the damned stuff every day or so) beggars belief, once you do move and have settled in

God almighty! It was like I imagine living in Afghanistan must be now under the imperial regime of pseudo-christian militarists. That is: People with great power, no conscience and absolute disregard for all respo nsibility.

To think there are children growing up there right now who know nothing els e. Imagine the violence that is going to come back our way in a few years. I have the feeling it will make the Twin Towers fiasco look very tame.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer