OT New local oindustry.

Evrybody round here seems to be burning wood. Many have the gas cenral heating turned off. Even smelt coal the other day. Haven't smelt it for years.

I used to pick up a bit of firewood every time I went out. for a walk. Never spot any now, get beaten to it I think.

Reply to
harryagain

Slightly OT, but watching the "Tudor Monastery Farm", I was interested to learn the orgins of the words "timber" and "wood" ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Too bad the author of this message requested that it not be archived. His message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jan 14).

Still, some of us will remember his interest with accruity.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

When I was a child we moved to a new house on a estate. The fences, as fitted by the builder, were rudimentary so there was a lot of business for the local timber merchant supplying proper fences. But I was puzzled: what was the difference between wood and timber, and why would anyone want to swap one for the other? It was many years latter that it twigged, the sign on the lorry "Wood for Timber"? the timber merchant's name was George Wood.

Reply to
djc