On an energy efficency drive!!

You deny that britain at least had an independent nuclear deterrent? that the bombs set off in Australia were not nuclear? even though you can take a geiger counter there to this day...and get a reading?

How quaint.

You Are Drivel and I claim my £5

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But if someone is using Windows in a graphical way, surely they can just go to Start -> Shutdown as normal? I don't understand where the shutdown command comes in in this case.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

No - you can't - it refuses to shut down like that.

It is a while since I tried to do so but in some/all versions of Windows/Windows server the start menu option does not allow shutdown from a remote desktop connection.

Reply to
Rod

Start - Windows Security...

Odd place, but it's there. Or at least, it is on XP.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Actually, apart from pointing out his lack of *relevant* qualifications, I did make one or two other points.

Which you have taken the trouble to remove.

In addition, I did read the acknowledgements section, and unfortunately I recognise none of the people mentioned, nor the institutions. Perhaps you can explain to me why we should credit their views.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Works on win2k3. Is it merely that the user you're logging on as didn't have rights?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Administrator?

I don't have access to the systems I used to handle so can't check which versions you can, which you can't (and I sure as hell can't remember right now!)

Reply to
Rod

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:21:19 +0100 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Nice try. Do keep this sort of attempt up.

Reply to
David Hansen

Jumping on the wagon... From my own point of view Andrew, I have 4 x PC's in our shop which are left on. (paranoia about losing e-mails)

I have a permanent VPN connected between routers from homeshop using DYNdns so I am able to directly access each machine using TightVNC via internal LAN IP address even run 4 sessions to all computers at once without a problem. From what you have said then, because in effect packets are going via VPN and router has MAC addresses locked to private IP address then WOL should work without a hitch for my set-up?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Jumping on the wagon... From my own point of view Andrew, I have 4 x PC's in our shop which are left on. (paranoia about losing e-mails)

I have a permanent VPN connected between routers from homeshop using DYNdns so I am able to directly access each machine using TightVNC via internal LAN IP address even run 4 sessions to all computers at once without a problem. From what you have said then, because in effect packets are going via VPN and router has MAC addresses locked to private IP address then WOL should work without a hitch for my set-up?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

So you DO deny it?