Old mixer tap

I need to replace the mixer taps on a kitchen sink that was installed when the house was new in 1976.

Having looked at taps available in B & Q, I have been told that pipe and thread sizes have changed since '76. Is this Correct? If it is correct, is there any kit available for adapting old pipes to new taps?

I suppose the obvious answer would be to employ a plumber but it looks quite a simple task to undertake.

I would appreciate any comments on this.

Reply to
Darren Wilkinson

There wasn't any huge changes made, it's just that 15 mm and 22 mm became more popular than half inch and three quarter inch because of the EU thing around that date. You will probably find that the new fittings will more than likely fit to your existing pipework without any problems. If you do have any difficulty however, then a new compression fitting will take half inch pipe but you may need to change just the olive (compression ring), that comes with it, to a half inch size that can be got from any good plumbers merchant. Once you've cut the old pipe down to a suitable point and fitted the new compression joint, then the other side of the compression fitting can be connected to any new pipes or appliances of your choice.

Reply to
BigWallop