O.T. hire price for traffic lights

I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say traffic lights will be needed, can anyone tell me what the charge for them would be (North Staffordshire.

Reply to
Broadback

For a short distance obstruction during the hours of daylight, except under certain circumstances, such as very high volumes of traffic, a couple of stop/go boards are usually adequate. However, IME road works equipment is surprisingly inexpensive and lights may work out cheaper than having a couple of bods holding the boards.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The message from Broadback contains these words:

Google is your friend.

Guy King

If the supposed "Tree Surgeons" need the lights then they will have to supply them. or would you like the responsibility for the set-up, operation and powering and a resultant accident when they fail?

Get a few more quotes from more experienced tradesmen

Reply to
Me here

Can you just stick up traffic lights on a public road without permission first? Certainly this wasn't the case when Mr BT threw up some lights on a local A road a year or so back without permission. I believe they were 'told off' for this. As has been suggested already, get another quote from an outfit that will do the WHOLE job.

Reply to
Grumps

You may also require permission from your local council to use the lights.

Reply to
Me here

Who would probably hire the lights and add on 10% or more, plus their time in collecting and returning said lights. I would have thought that the OP may well save some money if he handles this stuff himself (asumming he has time to spare).

Reply to
zikkimalambo

That's the whole idea. You pay a little extra. You don't have the responsibility of the "Public Liability" problem. They do all the donkey work. They get the permissions.

Any quality reputable tree surgeon/aboriculturalist team would arrange this properly without fuss and do the job correctly.

Unless it's a local "Pikey" mob with a mobile phone number on the van and a couple of brooms sticking out of the top of the White Transit Tipper, The OP might even be able to have his drive resurfaced while they're at it with the saving.... ;-)

Reply to
Me here

Thank you all for your reply. The tree surgeon is reputable and is recommended by the local authority, he states that he will handle everything but the cost of the lights will be added to the quote with no surcharge, however I would like a ball park price. the lights are needed because the work is close to a sharp bend.

Reply to
Broadback

*Will* require permission from the local council. Will also probably have to use Streetworks registered contractors or personnel to erect the lights, cones and signage i.e. not a DIY job.

Owain

Reply to
Owain