Vacuum Pump Hire

Anyone got any ideas on where I can hire a vacuum pump from? Looking to install my own split air con unit. All fairly simple enough but the only tricky bit is vacuuming the pipes. Both Jewson & HSS don't hire them out.
Cheers
Rob

They come up on eBay from time to time - buy it, use it, flog it.
--
Skipweasel

Have you bought the A/C system yet?
If not Global Cooling offer a pump hire, but only to their own customers: http://www.global-cooling.com/product_info.php?cPath &products_idt4
I fitted one of their milleniumair systems last year and it's been fine.
Alan.

Not purchased one yet. I have seen global cooling - just a shame I could buy the air con units + a pump from them cheaper than the system costs from them.

=========================If you don't need very low vacuum you could use a steam / water vacuum 'pump' similar to those used in the chemical industry. A domestic wallpaper stripper would produce enough steam for the job.
Cic.

The reason you vacuum the pipes is to remove any damp air from the system as the water freezes and damages the system. Will a steam vacuum achieve this?

as
=========================It's very unlikely with all the water sloshing around. It might be possible to heat the pipework first to dry out the air but it's all academic anyway since another poster has pointed out that a very low vacuum is needed for this job and I don't think that's achievable with a steam / water vacuum setup.
Cic.
Cicero wrote:

He does need a very low vacuum.
Why not get a man in to vacuum and gas it up? They tend to be busy at this time of the year but I've had no problems getting cars done, they've got all the gauges and spare O rings etc.

--
Neil J. Harris