Noisey CH Pump

I've got a Grundfos UPS 15-60 CH Pump which has got a bit noisey, with the noise being transmitted via the pipes around the house. A low frequency humming sound which is starting to get on our nerves.

I see that you can get a replacement UPS2 head unit for these,

which might be a simpler and a bit cheaper (I'd do the job myself - there are isolating valves either side of the pump).

But I wanted to get confirmation that the replacement head unit will include all the moving parts, e.g. including the impeller, otherwise I might still end up with the noise.

Anyone know enough about these pumps to confirm one way or the other?

Reply to
Davidm

Having worked in a school on the caretaking side, I know that the pumps are anchored to the wall but use 'rubber' couplers to the inlet and outlet pipes. I have a similar problem and wondered if a similar solution was possible but as I din't have a round tuit.....

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I wouldn't trust the isolation valves if they're of the gate type, I nearly flooded my house that way. If they are the quarter-turn ball type, they're probably OK.

Reply to
LumpHammer

First check that additional pipe fixings won't cure the problem. Just hold the pump/pipework with pipe grips ot similar with pipe. Or lever the pipe/pump with a big screwdriver. To see if the vibration can be stopped/reduced The noise may disappear.

For an extra fiver you can get the whole thing.

One of the key wear points in a pump is where the "neck" on the impellor fits into the pump body.

Probably just as easy to replace the lot as to split the pump casing.

Reply to
harryagain

Davidm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wanted to get confirmation that the replacement head unit will

impeller, otherwise I

All the moving parts and electrics are incorporated in the pump head.

The pump body is just that, a lump of cast iron.

You may find that your existing pump is unbalanced due to crud and rubbish building up in the impeller and a good clean up could make a big difference.

When isolating the pump be wary of the quarter turn ball type valves as these will invariably leak from the glands when operated and give never ending grief.

The gate type valves will not leak but may not turn off completey so don't pull off the head too quickly but rather ease off the retaining screws slowly.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Clean moving pump parts, clamp pipe better, add rubber/cardboard etc wedges to unclamped runs. If theres a lump missing from a [metal] impellor, grind a bit out to rebalance it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222