Magnetic or vacuum hold down clamp??

I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron sliding table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some type of magnetic or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of clamp would simply attach to the sliding table and use a screw or toggle type clamp to hold the wood in place. Has anyone seen such a thing or have any suggestions for a base on which I could add my own clamps?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

torx.wrench

| I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron | sliding table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some | type of magnetic or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of | clamp would simply attach to the sliding table and use a screw or | toggle type clamp to hold the wood in place. Has anyone seen such a | thing or have any suggestions for a base on which I could add my | own clamps? | | Bob

Bob...

If you'd like to try a vacuum base, you can make it with a block of plastic and a bit of weatherstripping. A recycled refrigerator compressor works well as a vacuum pump. You might get a few ideas from

I'd suggest at least 15 sq in or so for secure attachment.

Morris Dovey

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thanks for tickling my brain, Mike. I looked at McMaster-Carr and found something that may be the start of a something that will work well. Its called a magnetic base - a plain old magnet block with a threaded hole and a switch to release it. It should be pretty easy to add a standard hold down or toggle clamp to this. Their economy version is claimed to have 160 lb pull and is only $13. If it works out, I'll order some more and post pictures.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

| BillyBob (in VdB7f.1851$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net) | said: | || I'm looking for something that may not exist. I have a cast iron || sliding table and I believe it would be a lot more useful with some || type of magnetic or vacuum base hold down clamps. This type of || clamp would simply attach to the sliding table and use a screw or || toggle type clamp to hold the wood in place. Has anyone seen such a || thing or have any suggestions for a base on which I could add my || own clamps? || || Bob | | Bob... | | If you'd like to try a vacuum base, you can make it with a block of | plastic and a bit of weatherstripping. A recycled refrigerator | compressor works well as a vacuum pump. You might get a few ideas | from

I'd suggest at least | 15 sq in or so for secure attachment.

Photo of shop-made vacuum base on ABPW. I like the magnetic base idea even better.

Morris Dovey