Plant hire insurance

Anyone know where to get short term (few days) hire cover against (mostly) theft?
I want to hire a mini digger + dumper and whilst the hire is cheap over the weekend, the plant cost is horrendous if it gets nicked - and we are rather accessible.
Cheers
Tim

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I thought that most plant hire places insisted on you using a policy that they arrange ? It lets them ensure that the cover is adequate and also allows them to make a profit on the policy.
AWEM
On 11/08/2013 12:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

You may also find it difficult to insure something that is not yours.
--
Michael Chare

Couple of years ago I borrowed (for a reasonable fee) a LWB transit and had no trouble insuring it for a trip to France. Just went through the list giggle gave me until I found one that suited me
John
On Sunday 11 August 2013 12:22 Andrew Mawson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Seems to be rather the opposite with heathfield Hire - they don;t require it and they don't offer any for extra cost.

On 11/08/2013 11:58, Tim Watts wrote:

Is it not included in the hire charges?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sunday 11 August 2013 14:20 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No - nor do Heathfield Hire have it as an option.

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Anyone know where to get short term (few days) hire cover against (mostly) theft?
I want to hire a mini digger + dumper and whilst the hire is cheap over the weekend, the plant cost is horrendous if it gets nicked - and we are rather accessible.
You should check to see if they are a trade association member. No insurance from/through them sounds dodgy. There's a Travis Perkins nearby at Uckfield and there's comprehensive hire available from them with HAE cover/Insurance included. Better safe than sorry http://hire.travisperkins.co.uk/hire/
On Sunday 11 August 2013 21:37 Nthkentman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks - that's interesting. I did not know insurance was a standard package from the bigger hire places.
They are a small hire business - 2 shops - very helpful and competative prices (ie a lot cheaper tha HSS).
The bloke said they didn't view it as a problem as the machines had key ignition. Last time I had a wood chipper I boxed it in with 2 cars - and that was not a hugely expensive piece of kit.
And regular tradesmen probably have a permanant policy of their own.
A digger and dumper scare me - might be 1/10000 chance of getting it nicked, but it would be a ****ing expensive Murphy episode if it were!
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Watts wrote:

:-) I know someone with a key that fit that machine
BTW If your driveway was recently tarmaced then you should be safe as the usual suspects will not be sniffing around your house. Well not unless you have a lot of copper pipe on display for the outside taps.
You also get a 50% discount on any insurance policy if you chain the MiL to the machine overnight. 70% discount in Rotherham as you need Harry Potter and his chums to ward off the MiL.
--
Adam

On Sunday 11 August 2013 22:47 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Quite :)

At least someone reads the drivel I post!
I do wonder why they bother. I weighed in 40kg of quality solid ali the other day. Got a whopping £27. Needed driver's license and bank details. 60p/kg seems to be the going rate.
It's better than a kick in the nads as it had no other value to me and was in a nice pile ready to go, but I do wonder who anyone can make a "living" out of it.

What about chaining a couple of mormons to it - with a plentiful supply of Watchtower mags?

On Sunday 11 August 2013 22:53 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

^^^^^ 45kg

On 11/08/2013 22:53, Tim Watts wrote:

Its just a top up for the benefits. Running costs are low.. no insurance, no licenses and stolen fuel are a part of the package.
ARW wrote:

I was going to say, plant keys don't exactly appear to be unique, or hard to come by on auction sites ...

The usual trick for disabling a digger is to remove a hydraulic connection from the bucket arm. Even if they start the motor they can't lift the bucket to go anywhere.

--
Tim Lamb

On Wednesday 14 August 2013 17:23 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Sounds a bit drastic for a machine I do not own :-|

Perhaps.
We had some contractors laying crushed concrete surfacing on a bridleway. Employed by Groundwork Trust, they were using hired in tackle stored overnight in the farm yard.
Each evening, the foreman would remove a short length of hydraulic pipe from the digger arm mechanism. I suppose there was a small loss of fluid each time.
Tracking devices are common on tractors and large bits of earth moving tackle but appear not to work once inside a metal container.
--
Tim Lamb

On Thursday 15 August 2013 08:53 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I was going to ask - doesn't this mean the hydraulics would need bleeding?
Otherwise, it sounds a bit like removing the distributor cap from a car (in the old days!).

No bleeding. The hydraulic operating system is fed by a pump drawing fluid from the reservoir. The air trapped in the refitted hose would travel through the system and escape. You can get *spongy* operation where air has reached a cylinder but fully travelling the ram should cure this.
Of course you may end up with a driveway covered in hydraulic fluid if someone persists in trying to raise the arm.

--
Tim Lamb

On Thursday 15 August 2013 11:39 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - I see. I keep thinking it's akin to a braking system and of course, it's not...
Thanks - does sound like a good approach. I'd still be scared to "interfere" with hired kit though in case something went wrong that got pinned on me...