Which knot?

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie string/ rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the g round, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat enters . This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties i t shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat s hould do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?
NT

There is no such knot.
What you need is some form of spring loaded latch like you see on rabbit or small animal leg traps. The string just triggers that. The latch just keeps the door shut until you close it yourself, it isnt involved in trapping the cat, the cage still does that.
wrote

Or just a decent latch on the door that locks when you pull the door closed with the string when you see the cat is in the cage.
It also depends on whether the door is hinged at the side or the top or whatever. How many people do you have at your disposal? After all if the cage was weighted and one person could pull the string and keep tension on it till you got to the cage and latched it.
Brian
--
----- -

Nope.

I've disposed of quite a few, but if I told you how many, I'd have to kill you.

Completely trivial to tie off the string and go and latch the door.

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 09:20:04 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

trivial yes, but by the time I'm there to do it the cat will be gone. Only Rod can fail to grasp this.

Not if you tie properly and it’s a decent cord like a blind cord.
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:29:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Rather than trying to catch it yourself, IMO you should contact the RSPCA in your area. They have lots of experience at doing that sort of thing.
--

Chris

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:09:29 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

In fact, they may well lend you a trap.
They did to help us trap a feral cat which was hanging around our place.
Obviously not fully DIY, but......
Cheers
Dave R

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 19:49:57 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

Now that may be useful, thank you, though I can see troubles resulting. Will talk to them.
NT
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 12:38:38 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

We gave the cat to the RSPCA to re-home (part of the deal; they neuter them as well if not already done) but it turned out to be so ill (feline AIDS and cancer IIRC) that they had to put it down. We didn't know until we turned up with a pack of cat food as a "thank you".
The way we did it was to leave the cage open and un-primed for a couple of nights before priming it to close. More chance of the preliminary risk assessment by the cat classifying it as safe.
Unless the cat is a very frequent visitor which is also used to your presence, crouching near the cage holding a piece of string might be a long and painful experience.
Cheers
Dave R

On 08/11/2017 19:09, Chris Hogg wrote:

He might have more experience of looking after poorly animals than the RSPCA for all you know.
Bill

What's wrong with the following?
1. Peg the cage to the ground, so it can't move.
2. Pull the door shut with the string, and then tie the string off, whilst keeping it taut. Any old knot will do. Or screw a cleat to something sturdy and wrap the string round that a few times.
3. Stroll outside and latch the cage door.
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?
On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

Surely, I'm exactly as stupid as I am? Neither more, nor less, is possible.

On 09/11/17 10:36, GB wrote:

There speaks a true Leftist
People are born victims and cannot in anyway make their lot in life better. Only a left wing government or the EU can.

Josef Stalin
writes

You could use a slip knot and take the loop round the door edge and frame. Still not secure but you have doubled your mechanical advantage:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 20:23:13 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

not a hope. This one's like a tiger.
NT

I'll take your word for it, but it's not obvious why it won't work. Provided the string is strong enough and everything is anchored down.
Maybe you should have two strings? One to pull the door closed and the other to manoeuvre a bit of wood to keep the door latched or simply a really heavy lump of wood that leans against the door when toppled over by the second string.
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:39:56 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't envy whoever has the job of removing said cat from its cage, assuming you manage to trap it in the first place.
--

Chris