Which knot?

I don't envy whoever has the job of removing said cat from its cage, assuming you manage to trap it in the first place.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie strin g/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat ente rs. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

Good news: 2 cage-traps are now in place, and hopefully a 3rd will be tomor row. Thanks for all the ideas, this time it didn't end up diyed, which is u nusual. Was able to find a farm supplier in the area.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You must be wealthy! I had an Autumn problem with Foxes digging up the lawn (after pupating insects) and decided replacing the divots was best.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do please tell us what you catch. :)

Reply to
GB

As in animal or medical? With feral cats propensity to double in length when attempts are made to handle them a good set of leathers and face protection may be needed but I expect that is telling Tabby Purr to suck eggs. At least in the UK a bite will probably not bring the risk of Rabies with it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I've worked with ferals before - he's only semi feral. I've had him purring in my lap before now, but he won't come too near me as he knows I want to capture him.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the Archers, they gave the pheasants grain soaked in alcohol, then scooped them up when they were out cold.

Reply to
GB

Reminds me of when I was a kid, my parents put some left-over brandy-soaked Xmas pud out for the birds. A robin really took a fancy to it, and was decidedly unsteady for an hour or two afterwards!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Happened here with some spilled antifreeze.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

ve a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie str ing/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along t he ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat en ters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ti es it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong c at should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

orrow. Thanks for all the ideas, this time it didn't end up diyed, which is unusual. Was able to find a farm supplier in the area.

More good news: he's been captured. He's doing fine, and is currently sleep ing after a major eatfest.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whilst I don't like to see any animal suffering (I even let / usher wasps out of the house), about the only animal that I have never owned that has caused me the most damage / mess / clearup is the (other peoples?) cat.

Two have slashed the wallpaper in the downstairs toilet after climbing in the window and falling into the toilet itself and the number of times I've trodden in their sh1te in my *private / enclosed* back garden and worse on my vegetable patch ... plus the damage done to (covered) motorcycle saddles and scratches on the roofs of the cars.

Glad you took another one off the streets ... if only it would stay off the streets ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, they're so much better behaved than human kids. He will stay indoors, he just doesn't look after himself outside. He's unusually nutty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can believe that.

Good. I don't care if people have pets that don't stay indoors, just if they don't, they shouldn't become a nuisance to other people (as cats very often do and when the 'owners' can't often be 'held responsible' (unlike with an unruly kid or dog)).

Ok.

We had a (rescue) dog (for 10 years) that 'went nutty' and we had him put down. We did so mainly for him.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I just catch them in my hand to put them out. I wouldn't bother but SO is a bit worried about them.

One doesn't own a cat. We have one that has adopted us - he's supposed to live next door but apparently our house is better, although he's a strange grumpy beast.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Reminds me of my father-in-law many years back he had a 6 week old kitten hiding under his shed...So he got a dustbin lid propped up with a stick and tied a length of rope, then placed a saucer of milk underneath. Kitten goes under FiL pulls the string and traps it. He then put his hand under the lid to catch it, the kitten ripped it to shreds as well has sinking its teeth in while he tried to shake it off, kitten then fekced off! FiL left a trail of blood from back garden to the kitchen sink, and cursing like a trooper. Big game hunter indeed, I couldnt stop laughing.

Reply to
ss

Oh ... and never been stung Rob?

As is our daughter (who generally cares for all 'living things') but since 'granny' assured her that 'wasps won't sting you if you keep still' ... and she did and one did, she kills any that get in her way.

According to the law (as least) you do ... (sometimes) ... especially if I deprive someone of it etc. ;-(

Aren't they all?

Daughter rescued a couple of rabbits a couple of years ago and then a third fairly recently. One of the original two died (over 10 years old we estimated) so she replaced it with another, rescued by the RSPCA from a 'bad' pet shop.

After a very slow / gentle introduction (following all the std advice), all was looking good between them all till one morning she found the new (and fairly large) rabbit with a bit ripped out of the end of it's ear (probably by the smallest one of the group). We took it to the vets tonight, not only to check the wound but to check the process she was using re the introduction and all was well. Apparently these nice gentle wabbits can be pretty violent, sometimes fighting to the death! ;-(

It when you see how far they can throw something, or what they can lift or bite though do you realise how gentle they are generally being with us!

... Unlike cats, that will scratch or bite you, even when you are being nice to them. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ouch.

Probably the best thing, under the circumstances! ... ;-)

I bet.

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not a bit. Maybe if poorly treated or in pain.

certainly isn't my experience. Ferals will, out of fear, but it's like anyo ne, if you deal with them in a way that doesn't provoke much fear then all is well. But cats do not like people that pay no mind to what they think & feel. Why anyone would expect otherwise I'm not sure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The only time I've had a wasp sting was when I nearly inhaled a wasp while out cycling. It didn't have much effect after the initial startlement, possibly because being on my lip it was easy to suck the poison out. (???)

But the cat would consider you its designated care giver, as opposed to a dog who thinks you're the pack leader and boss.

Cats come in a wide spectrum of personality types, from chilled to excitable, those that enjoy human attention and those that don't, scavengers and hunters ...

Rabbits are very hormone-driven - neutering not only calms them down but also massively reduces the occurrence of some cancers to which they are otherwise very susceptible. In the wild (or not properly cared for in captivity) they don't usually live more than three years.

I've known quite a few rabbits too. The females tend to be stroppy and territorial, the males (once neutered) are pretty chilled. They seem to be happiest kept in a M/F pair, although we've had "extra" males accepted after careful introduction. Their teeth are like little chisels, they will easily puncture skin and can be used as a slashing weapon too, they have big claws, pack a hefty kick and can flick wee in your face. :-)

The neighbour's cat will attack you after seeking attention, then look confused as if he doesn't know why he did it - I've found the best approach is to not try to get away, then he doesn't bite or scratch as hard, stops quicker and you can carry on fussing him. Possibly the strangest cat I've ever known - a vet thinks he may have been oxygen-deprived at birth.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Sounds like pet-bite syndrome. Some general advice that might or might not suit you. Cats are famous for their emotional state varying all over the pl ace quickly. When petting you need to keep an eye out for signs of irritati on like tail swishing. If that happens, switch to the introduction type of petting, where you offer them a hand to sniff and only pet as and when invi ted.

Sore/painful spots can also cause a sudden switch to biting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr