Knot Question

Hi all

I am trying to encourage an apple tree in a certain direction by gradually pulling it over. There is a copper beach tree nearby to act as the anchor for the rope tie.

What I need is a knot that can take up slack as I pull hard to bend the tree. Anyone understand what I am trying to achieve and suggest the appropriate knot please?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Hey Guys

Thanks to all respondents.

To fill in one or two gaps here...

The reason for the tie is to encourage the tree back vertical. It has been under the spreading canopy of a copper beach tree and dived off to one side in search of light. The copper canopy has gone so hopefully the apple tree will head back vertical anyway.

For those suggesting more than rope tensioning, I do have a 3/4 tonne pull lift somewhere, but wanted to take a more gentle approach.

I have used one of the more basic trucker's hitch configurations. I say more basic, cos it seems you can increase the number of lower rope parts and reduce the effort needed. As my anchor is round the base of a tree, I think friction would negate any benefit that might bring.

I'd like to say I will commit this knot to memory, but every year that seems an increasingly unlikely state of affairs.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Thanks guys

Think I'll try and get to grips with Chris's Trucker's hitch. A single part rope is fine, but it does take some effort to get movement from the apple tree trunk. Just need a means of taking up and securing the slack while maintaining the tension.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

No, you don't. What you *need* is O level physics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought you just want to tie into a loop of some sort and then do a half hitch to lock it off?

So imagine you put a bowline in the end of your rope and passed it round the apple tree. Then took the free end round the base of the beach and back to your bowline. Pass the free end though your loop, pull it back towards you and then lock it off with said half hitch on the part going back to the beech.

Better might be to put some sort of strop / cambian saver round each tree and do similar with that. If you can't get sufficient purchase, you can either pass it round more times (between the strops, assuming a reasonably open 'D' on the ends of the strops) or you can work the inter tree part sideways and then take up the slack as you allow it to straighten again.

If you need more power still you can get rope / pulley engine hoists pretty cheap (use that to generate the tension and then lock it off with another rope and take the hoist away).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure I see exactly what you're looking for, but look at these -

Garda hitch (needs karabiners but you may be able to improvise)

or Trucker's hitch

?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Whilst that would work and we don't know the whole story (size of trees, amount of tension required / acceptable, distance between the trees) I was thinking two parts between the tree would likely offer more capacity in the rope?

If the distance between the trees was sufficient I wonder if a weight of some sort tied midway between the trees would act as an automatic tensioner? Old car tyre laid flat on a sheet of polythene then filled with concrete and a metal loop forming an anchor point set in at the same time?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

If it's to be able to slide the knot when it's not under tension then a Prussik might do the job?

No karabiners required. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Actually what he needs is a ratchet strap. Not a knot. No knot self tightens while you are pulling somewhere else. O level physics

And trying to do WTH a knot what a ratchet strap is DESIGNED TO DO is just stupid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've tied 2 of the knots suggested in the distant past when helping relatives on HGVs or trying single rope caving techniques. But in the

21st century unless pennies are tight I'd say sod that and buy a heavy ratchet strap. Another possibility is a self-locking belay device on the rope. The latter is pricier but allows you to use the rope on pulleys to get mechanical advantage. Then again, they probably cost more than 2 or 3 ratchet straps which you can use in parallel.
Reply to
Robin

Two lengths of strong rope. Long enough to make a loop round one tree an reach almost to the other one.

Place side by side, overlapping, so you have a long twin section. At each end of the twin section, knot the ropes together. Best way is to form a loop an tie a knot with the free end. A sheep shank should be ok. You should end up with a twin section and two ends to make loops.

Tie loop around each tree- cloth or hose to protect trees is a good idea. Pull centre section as tight as you can initially.

To tighten further you need a bit of wood, place between twin ropes and twist them together. To maintain tension, lash / peg wood in place.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes.

The best approach is the truckers knot used to tie down loads. Main problem with it is that it doesn't have just one name and you really need a video of how to do it rather than just a picture.

Reply to
John_j

+1
Reply to
ARW

I've never had much luck, trees tend to just grow around things like fences and ropes, including them inside their trunks. If something is growing in a certain direction its probably light related. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2

In message <r6b1ae$lc0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, thescullster snipped-for-privacy@thesculls.karoo.co.uk> writes

You need something under the rope to protect the bark anyway. If you can make this *low friction,* more than one loop of rope will give you a mechanical advantage.

For a *releasable* knot I would use a simple half hitch but leave a loop in the clamp. I was never a Scout so don't know the terms:-)

Any boatee will know!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

several wraps of carpet around the trees to protect them from the ropes destroying the bark and tree,

[g]

Reply to
George Miles

+1
Reply to
Davidm

angle grinder Cut a notch in the tree :)

Reply to
F Murtz
<snip>

As you said, you are only going to (try to) 'encourage)' the apple tree over, any more force than that may damage one tree or the other.

If you are pulling a tail of rope though a loop then it's quite easy to hold the two parts together (tight in one hand) whilst getting a knot round somewhere. If you do lose a few cm as you do that it should be an issue in that application, especially if you use a stretchy rope in the first place?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 10:36:54 +0100, Davidm <davidm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: <snip>

But not what the OP was asking about.

This can be a big problem with a minority here, people assuming that the OP hasn't already considered what they put forward.

It doesn't matter if that's the case of course, it's just how the same people get all excited (often using capitals) to put their case over, along with effectively calling the OP 'stupid' for not only considering such?

Someone might not want to go out and *buy* a long / wide / strong enough ratchet strap to possibly leave somewhere where it might get stolen, or want something like that that people might walk into ... and might have loads of rope at hand, ready to do the job with. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m