Knot Question

<snip>

That's good. ;-)

Correct.

Does it now?

It matters not that the line happens to be springy because that doesn't play a part in what we are saying here. The bonds could be steel rods for these processes.

I do indeed.

Because that's part of ''the point' of such a hitch mate.

No comment. ;-)

Have you ever actually tied off such a / any ropes OOI Robin (genuine question)?

Ok, so what part of that Truckers Hitch description confuses you?

I have been around boats, tents, trailers, roof racks, lifting / hoisting / pulling / towing most of my life and so am generally exposed to all sorts of line, wire, chain and strapping. Therefore, I've had to tie, cut, join, splice all sorts and often know what sort (construction / material / diameter) of line is required for any particular task.

That's not to say you couldn't 'get away' using sisal or bailing twine for many things (Mr Lamb <g>) but that's not the point. ;-)

Some ropes are nearly impossible to tie without special consideration and I believe different knots in climbing ropes can impact their ratings (generally derating, often quite a bit).

I'm not suggesting I know all the answers there, just that I have a reasonable feel for much of it as I've used / done most of it.

So, being able to grip a rope under tension over another in a way that I can get a locking hitch under it and without losing tension, yes pretty straightforward (with the right rope / approach).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We went to pick up daughters Suzuki 600 Bandit motorbike in the

1/2 tonne general goods trailer I built over 40 years ago. On the way home along an unfamiliar high street I didn't see a poorly marked and not inconsiderable speed ramp across the road. The car took it ok (I wasn't going fast in any case) but the trailer, with little in the way of compliant suspension basically got air and landed again. Whilst it looked ok in the mirror(s) we pulled over to check it all out (we had only just left the seller and had a fair way to go) and the bike was exactly where I put it ... and was still so when we got home. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

To clarify some of the attributions:

Tim said:

Rob>>The spring knows?

Tim said:

For me that has to be the funniest exchange of the thread :)

Never mind T i m we all know you are the expert on everything here so can forgive your lapse.

Reply to
Bev

Little things ...

Thanks for your input. Greatly valued as ever.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m