Apple tree in pot?

Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions. I've been growing an apple tree I started from seed in a pot for several months. It's still pretty small, maybe

4 inches tall, but it has lots of small leaves on it. Should I put it in a bigger pot, or has its growth been stunted for some other reason? It's still really small-looking for the pot it's in (a 6 inch pot, I believe.)

Also, what's the best route to go about overwintering it? I have a few months, yet, but I don't think it's going to get much bigger and I wouldn't want it to die if I put it in the ground. Can I just keep it inside and hope for the best (I've had plants die over the winter indoors, possibly from lack of sufficient light?), or is there something else I could do?

I'm not really sure if this is the right place for these questions, so if not, could someone direct me to the appropriate group? Many thanks in advance!

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

Dogwoods like full shade.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Something I learned from being an avid houseplant grower is that the diameter of your pot should be 1/3 the height of your plant. Otherwise, the plant will be forced to grow new roots if the pot is too big, rather than foliage. If the pot is too small, it will also be stunted simply because the roots are trying to grow outside the pot. You would see roots coming out of the bottom if this occurred.

Reply to
Beth Pierce

Patrick, Don't expect your seedling apples to taste anything like the apple they came from. Then again, you may get very, very, lucky and come up with a new variety that tastes good, but don't count on it.

Sherw> I've been growing an apple tree I started

Reply to
sherwindu