crab apple tree

We have an old crab apple tree. While there are some dead limbs in the tree, a tree of similar size and age recently died and had to be taken down.

Can I prolong the trees life if I take out all of the dead wood and trim the suckers OR would it be better to trim some of the larger branches and let the suckers grow?

Reply to
keith_nuttle

keith_nuttle We have an old crab apple tree. While there are some dea

limbs in the tree, a tree of similar size and age recently died and had to be take down.

Can I prolong the trees life if I take out all of the dead wood an trim the suckers OR would it be better to trim some of the larger branches and let the suckers grow?

keith you really have nothing to lose either way because if you leav the tree the way it is more like than not it will eventually end u dying anyways. i would trim out the dead stuff its of no use there and it will onl rub across parts that are good and maybe cause damage and or disease t the good parts of the tree. as far as the suckers go i would get rid o those as well they are just sapping the good from the tree. good luck. cyaaaaa, sockiescat:)

-- sockiescat

Reply to
sockiescat