OTish The Book

Hi Chaps
I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.
A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".
I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman" book, but a guide to running it as a business.
So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who comment on it.
You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.
Any volunteers?
(Unbeliever need not apply).

Yeah count me in if it helps, the email in my headers works. Is the film version going to be "Confessions of a Handyman" with Robin Askwith playing you?
On 11/08/2013 11:31, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Nah! I gave up sex for religious reasons. God made me ugly....

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:20:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Always happy to proof read - for general 'understandability' rather than technical content.
Sounds like an excellent idea.
I'm also massively photogenic if it goes to TV or film.
Cheers
Dave R
On 11/08/2013 12:01, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Ta. E mail your e mail address please

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Run-your-own-handyman-business-/321183018816
There's fuck all money in writing a book and most subjects have already been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering running a handyman business.
On 11/08/2013 13:24, Artic wrote:

I'm not writing it to make a fortune...

On 08/11/2013 01:24 PM, Artic wrote:

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of books about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from having a go?
Andy Cap scribbled...

I know people who've wasted time and money on vanity publishing. There can be money in telling stories about incidents that have happened around their jobs. There's not much in telling someone how to run a business - new businessmen think they know it all when they start out. If they knew the pitfalls, they'd never start.
On 11/08/2013 14:26, Andy Cap wrote:

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

The Medway Handyman wrote:

From reading some of your posts here, you can't.
On 15/08/2013 00:05, Unbeliever wrote:

Buy alas I have - and prospered through the worst recession in living memory. More than you ever achieved in your sad little life. No wonder you are so bitter....

Dave, trolls just want to elicit a response, any response. By responding to him, you're feeding his ego. Just ignore him.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 8th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3179
RIP Karen Black (July 1, 1939 – August 8, 2013)
On Sunday, 11 August 2013 20:08:24 UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

"They all laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian ... well, they aren't laughing now..."
[the only decent joke I ever heard Bob Monkhouse tell]
J^n
jkn wrote:

Did you ever see him on tour? He was one of the sharpest comedians I have ever seen.
--
Adam

On 15/08/2013 20:19 ARW wrote:

I did, and you're not wrong! Him and Spike Milligan - pure genius!

On 15/08/2013 20:36, F wrote:

Yup the live act was supposed to be much edgier than they would allow on TV. Shame I never saw it...
--
Cheers,

John.
Hi Adam
On Thursday, 15 August 2013 20:19:09 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

Nope, never did. Fair enough, thanks for the info. I agree that you can get a very different sense of comedians (and performers in general) live compared to on the idiot box.
Cheers J^n
jkn wrote:

But available on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GYp3Ls3Hz8

and you can decide for yourself.
--
Adam

Indeed. I've seen several live who were hysterical, who were a waste of 'leccy on the box (Alexei Sayle being the best example.)
--
Today is Pungenday, the 9th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3179
“A preoccupation with the next world clearly shows an inability to