OTish The Book

Hi Chaps

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have finally made a start.

A book on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

I went through a huge learning curve when I started from scratch 7 years ago. The concept isn't a "DIY manual" or a "confessions of a handyman" book, but a guide to running it as a business.

So, what I'd like is a few volunteer sub eds or proof readers. The idea is, when each chapter is finished, I e mail it to a few people who comment on it.

You don't get paid :-) However, when it's published you will get a mention & thanks - as will this excellent NG.

Any volunteers?

(Unbeliever need not apply).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeah count me in if it helps, the email in my headers works. Is the film version going to be "Confessions of a Handyman" with Robin Askwith playing you?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Always happy to proof read - for general 'understandability' rather than technical content.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

I'm also massively photogenic if it goes to TV or film.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Nah! I gave up sex for religious reasons. God made me ugly....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ta. E mail your e mail address please

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

You can pick up a few hints and tips from this

There's f*ck all money in writing a book and most subjects have already been covered. There are several other titles and even websites covering running a handyman business.

Reply to
Artic

I'm not writing it to make a fortune...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yea, go on then... count me in.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what they told J K Rowling. Don't bother, there's loads of books about wizards! What the point of discouraging anyone from having a go?

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andy Cap scribbled...

I know people who've wasted time and money on vanity publishing. There can be money in telling stories about incidents that have happened around their jobs. There's not much in telling someone how to run a business - new businessmen think they know it all when they start out. If they knew the pitfalls, they'd never start.

Reply to
Artic

I'm game to help Dave my email in the header works after removing all upper case characters.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yeah, I'll do it; I'll enjoy it!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

A lot of people told me I couldn't run a handyman business....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yeah, sling a copy this way. Is there a chapter on repairing bicycles?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm reckoned to be a pretty good proof reader and sub. reply-to address is valid

Reply to
djc

You've probably got enough volunteers, but I'm happy to help too. I have previous experience in this area.

email address is valid.

Reply to
John J Armstrong

If you need anyone else, I am happy to have a read and make constructive criticism if needed!

Reply to
Toby

Not even if you use easy words and finger spacing?

Reply to
ARW

Joined up letters confuse him...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are quite right, and after reading some of your questions and abuse here, I certainly *wouldn't* volunteer to help you write a book on how to sharpen a chisel - let alone on "how to start & run a successful handyman business".

If you have to advertis for "volunteers" for help, then you really don't know enough about starting and run a "sucessful" business - let alone write a book on it.

Reply to
Unbeliever