O.T. cost of having electric disconnected/reconnected to pole.

I have a very large lime tree bordering a public road that is dying and needs to be removed. The tree surgeons say the power from the adjacent pole will have to be disconnected for the work to be carried out, can anyone please tell me what the charge for that would be (North Staffordshire).

Reply to
Broadback

Yes, the electricity DNO (distribution network operator) for your area will be able to tell you, when you ask them to quote. This link should help you find out who you need to contact:

- I suspect the answer is likely be more than you think...

Reply to
Andy Wade

The electricity supplier responsible can.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Contact the local supplier and advise them that there is a tree very close to their supply line. Have them inspect it and suggest that you are willing to assist in removing the tree after their "pruning".

Reply to
Me here

Sadly Me here that will not wash, the tree is not interfering with the line, it is simply a health and safety matter for the men doing the work.

Reply to
Broadback

What sort of power line is it? Any pictures?

Find some different men who don't mind a shock? ;-)

Reply to
dennis

I had a line that goes under the eaves of a house temporarily pinned to the wall and wrapped in red plastic whilst the guttering and fascias were replaced. The cost was zero. I had to give a large window of time so that they could fit the job in with others in the area. (East Midlands). The cables feed many houses so that may have influenced the issue - but H&S seemed to be their concern.

Reply to
John

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:42:47 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

Split plastic tubing over the wires seems to be a favourite.

Of course we are assuming that this is a low voltage line, something which the OP has yet to confirm.

Reply to
David Hansen

How remiss of me, it is the single phase supply to myself and my neighbour.

Reply to
Broadback

It's low voltage, then...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Single phase droppers from the pole to the consumer are often insulated, is your tree surgeon being overly picky? Could the branches be reasonably trimmed back with nothing substantial falling on them?

Reply to
dom

In that case, the usual method is simply to insulate the lines while work is in progress. A man comes along with a long pole and uses it to apply plastic sleeving, which the supply company usually forgets to remove until long after the work is finished.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you don't pay your bills, it will be disconnected for free. Of course, getting it reconnected afterwards will be more expensive :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

What`s the first part of your postcode ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

ST12

Reply to
Broadback

Sorry for the slow reply - I don`t think Scottish Power are the REC for that postcode area (parts of ST7 only IIRC)

You may find that tree cutting has its own department in the REC that does cover that area, and they will trim the tree for free around the path of the line to ensure the security of the supply - which in turn would allow the tree to be chopped in relative safety.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thank you all for your replies, I will try some other tree surgeons, this one was the only one who has given me a written estimate out off the first batch I have tried. Ideally I wanted one who would deal with the local council to get the removal permission, most want the permission first, so I will apply to the council myself and see how I fare.

Reply to
Broadback

Just in case I wasn`t as clear as I meant to be, the REC may have their own tree cutting department / contractors who will do anything in the vicinity of the line for you.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

They tend to be in short supply, as this one had the misfortune to discover:

(DONT LOOK IF A SMOLDERING BODY IS GOING TO MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE)

Andrew Gabriel

holiday Sunday a good few years ago. Couple of guys were moving equipment at a grain silo, straight into an 11kv o/h line. The worst part was the guys had brought their families along for a day out.....

On a similar vein, I also knew a cable jointer who used to wet his fingers and quickly dab them on the ends of live lv cables to phase out when making straight joints. Oh the joys of HSE. :-)

Reply to
The Wanderer