Cost of having gas/electric/water installed

Hi all Just had quotes back for getting all the above laid on, and have just picked myself up off the floor. (This is to provide services for an old, small, midterraced house, which was formerly combined with next door, and which I'm currently busy dividing off again as a standalone home. All traces of the former service supplies have vanished.)

Gas - 200 GBP (plus whatever the supply co will charge to fit their meter) Electric - 750 GBP! Water - 1000 GBP!!

Considering all three services are already in the street immediately outside the property, I am gobsmacked at the cost for lecky and water. But is this about par for the course? In both cases I'm up against a monopoly so can't go anywhere else for these, and doubt that just whinging will do much good. But if others' experience suggests these costs are outrageous, it's got to be worth a go.

The water quote included a 500 quid contribution to maintaining the infrastructure of the supply system, given the increased load I'm going to be putting on it, or some such nonsense. Also, it specifies that they will take it up to the boundary of my property, and in my case I'm not sure what that means yet - will this mean outside on the pavement (meaning I need my own plumber/groundworker too), or just on my side of the (same) outside wall? They also talk about providing a compulsory, external, wall-mounted water meter... eh? OK for a new build maybe, but has anyone else seen this applied to an Edwardian terrace?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep, I had to pay about £250 to have gas installed. Transco do this on behalf of the gas company. The meter is installed at the same time as the supply feed and is free. Anything from the meter onwards is your responsibility...

Reply to
Mark

Water sounds a bit steep. Nearly all new fit supplies will have to have a water meter. Doesn't matter how old the house is. You will probably find that you do save money on your water bill. Hooray !!!!! unless you have loads of kids 4-5 kids Booooooooo !! They will put it at the boundary. Mine is the other side of the wall. Next door is in his garden. Depends what sort of mood the guys are in when they fit it. Its down to you to get the water into your house from the meter, or your plumber. If this house used to have water before, then they should be able to find the outside stop tap. It may now be buried, but the connection to the main will still be intact, therefore all they need do is provide you with a new stop tap, this shouldn't cost as much. rob

Reply to
rob

In our region (ex Manweb) you`d probably be looking at about =A3320+VAT if= =20 it was a simple job like this

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

  • old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam *

Colin Wilson

Have em put it round the back. No way you want that on the front of the property.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

He said terrace, so there is almost zero chance of having a main up the entry, so this idea is a complete non-starter unless he`s willing to foot the cost of excavating the entry and laying a new piece of main down there - that`s assuming he can get permission to do so as there may be wayleaves etc involved.

Ask them why they feel its compulsory to stick a box outside - it must be a local practice because this isn`t the case nationwide, and if all the other services in the vicinity are inside it only strengthens your argument.

If they say the regulator makes them do it, they`re lying... Ask them for specifics on where they say this is written as you will be referring to the regulator to check what their policy is :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson