Name of superglue?

Can someone tell me the name of the superglue that will "stick anything to anything"? You know, the add where the fat man is sat in the chair that's stuck up on the wall.

Thanks

Reply to
David Sadtwat

By the way, if no one can remember the add, could someone recommend some glue to stick a couple of small plastic speakers to the wall? They weigh about 1/2 a KG each, or a bit less.

Thanks all

Reply to
David Sadtwat

It was UNIBOND "NO MORE NAILS" IIRC

only takes 24 hours to set...

Good for continuous bond of picture rail to plaster, with additional screws IMHO

Reply to
M Junk

It wasn't a superglue. It was Solvite wallpaper adhesive.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

All superglue is cyanoacrylate isn't it?

Reply to
Craig Graham

Do they have flat backs?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No, that was him stuck to the wall by his clothes .. the one with him sat in the chair glued to the wall was summat else .. I'd use Gripfill ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

... wasn't this man also hung from a helicopter?

Reply to
Scott Mills

They do.

Reply to
David Sadtwat

Thanks!

Reply to
David Sadtwat

So would I

Reply to
stuart noble

To the best of my knowledge, there is no glue that will reliably stick anything to anything with any real strength.

The test you describe above doesn't need a 'super glue' given the large contact area.

Best to say what you need to stick to what for recommendations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Cyanoacrylate is indeed the active constituent of superglue. You can buy it neat but it deteriorates with age unless you put it in the freezer. For this reason superglues have additives to extend the shelf life at the expense of bond strength.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Cyanoacrylate.

Or many brand names.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cyanoacyrlate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then your knowledge is extremely limited.

99% of the bonds I make in model making are stronger than the material being bonded to.

Polyester, epoxy and cyanoacrylate if used correctly and appropiately are massively effective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd consider not gluing them directly to the wall, but putting a couple of small 20mm screws in per speaker. These stand 10mm proud of the wall. Now, take a couple of small bits of chipboard, or MDF. Cut keyhole shaped slots in the bottom bit, and larger holes in the top bit. Glue together. This now gives you a mount that can be slipped on or off the wall.

Now, glue the speakers onto this, "no more nails" or hot-melt should work. Easier to move, if you decide to. Alternatively, you can just take a hot-melt glue gun, and a hairdryer. Heat the place where the speakers will be with the hairdryer, to slow setting, then squirt a pattern of glue onto the wall. Press speaker, and hold for a couple of minutes. In either case, the back of the speaker should be roughened with some sandpaper. Are there any vents in the back? If so, you may reduce the sound quality further by blocking them.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I think you misunderstood the comment (assuming I understood it as intended of course).

I think what this was intended to mean was that there is no 'universal' glue which will stick any material to any material. You are probably right in saying that if you choose the correct glue then most things can be stuck together, but not always with the same glue. (However things such as polythene and PTFE are pretty difficult to stick aren't they?)

Reply to
usenet

Exposure to moisture, I'd say, rather than age. Freezer/fridge is good, as is tightly capping it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If so I apologise.

Yes. Most olefins are. They are not very structural tho, or strong. CA and epoxy almost bond, as does polyester, in that they adhere by suction almost. Not a true bond tho. Some solvents will weld to polyethne. PTFE? Not ure, but tescos bacon sticks to it every time :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher