munsen pipe clips

Hello,

Has anyone used Munsen pipe clips?

Like this:

(That link shows the double version)

I am looking to use these as I want to secure a pipe in insulation and I don't think alternatives, such as these:

Would reach through the insulation.

If you use threaded bar to secure the munsen clip, does it have to be brass? I was wondering whether there would be a reaction between brass and steel: I have a faint memory about something to do with dissimilar metals reacting; does this apply here?

Also, does using a metal clip with a metal bar cause heat loss, as I would assume that some heat will conduct from the pipe along the supporting metal work?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

In message , Stephen writes

As an alternative, Talon make spacers for their hinged clips, to space the clip away from the mounting point, the spacers can be stacked.

Reply to
Chris French

Yes - quite a lot.

Nope - not if it's dry. I've used stainless bar (bought in metre lengths and cut). You can get brass bar too.

Not that anyone would worry about :)

My only concern when using a bit of floating bar between a female base and a female clip is whether the bar will creep due to therm cycling and bite the pipe. Probably bollocks, but I usually add a drop of Loctite to one end. Because I'm OCD like that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not personally but seen loads in commecial installations, look up ine any retail shed place and you'll see pipes supported by them, quite often multiple pipes all hung below one another.

How thick? The nail one you linked to would need to be pretty much on the subtrate providing the support. The screw mounted clip you could use a long screw for up to say an inch ish thick insulation and not have it waggle about too much. Spreading the load might be an issue to stop the clip sliding down the screw.

Munsen will provide good support from the substrate through the insulation.

Probably not a problem in a dry location but if there is a chance of damp then maybe. I think it'll be a zinc/steel interaction along the lines of scarifical anodes on steel hulled boats.

Well yes but it's probably not significant. I wouldn't be surprised to find you can get thermal break musen fittings, I've not looked.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Couldn't you use a suitable size (M10?) lock nut? I'd have thought that would be required just to make assembly less fiddly with things screwing/unscrewing as you add bits.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You know, I never thought to do the obvious! I suppose I had a tube of Loctite lying about and just went for it. Works though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The thread is 3/8 BSP.

Reply to
harry

It would depend on the type of insulation you want to secure the pipe in. I would have though nail in talon clips would be fine. The underfloor people use a large plastic barbed staple in the PU foam.

If you want spacers with talon clips you can use a small offcut of pipe and use a longer fixing screw.

Reply to
ed

I wanted to use the grey "tube" type of pipe wrap, like this:

and use the clip to secure the pipe to the joist/ wall stud/etc as applicable.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before.

There seems to be another variant:

I'm unsure what the difference is. Clearly the hinge clip variety are for hinge clips only. Perhaps the universal ones fit all their types of clip?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks.

BES sell both the imperial and metric ones.

Screwfix doesn't seem to say what size they sell (but I may have missed it). Toolstation sells 10mm back plates, so I assume their clips are M10 to match.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen