High(ish) pressure pipe clips

I have a bicycle track pump. The pipe that feeds the air to the tyre connects at the pump end onto a spigot and is clamped with what looks like some form of compression fitting.

The pipe itself is some form of flexible plastic, not pure rubber, and has broken just above this clip. I need to reconnect it. I could probably just use a jubilee clip but is there a neater solution? The pipe is probably 10mm or so diameter.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Dual eared O clips any good?

Jubilee clips aren't much good for such small diameters as the close with quite a pronounced D shape.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Double ear clip in a suitable size:

Set using pincers

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The neatest would be some form of crimp. Any removable clip is not going to look as good. Does the spigot into the pump body unscrew? If so, replace the entire hose?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have done temporary repairs [1] by tightly binding some copper wire around the hose a few turns, then carefully twisting the ends together with some pliers (easy to overdo it and snap the wire) then trim the wire off leaving a few mm (about 6 turns worth min) and then lay it flat over the binding.

You can then make it look pretty with some insulating tape, self-amalgamating tape or the heat shrink you put over the hose before you started. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] That often outlasted the other hardware. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Looks like it might. If these are the ones Andrew Mawson pointed to are they installed by squeezing across the long axis?

Reply to
Andrew May

Does this help?

Although you can buy the proper tool on ebay etc, I reckon a pair of carpenters pincers should do the job just as well.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Helps a lot. Not at all what I imagined. I was thinking along the lines of squeezing across the lobes to sprint the clip out before putting the pipe in and releasing.

Reply to
Andrew May

sprint => spring

Reply to
Andrew May

No, you nip each ear with e.g. pincers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You squeeze each ear with pincers thus reducing the circumference of the clip. I have the proper tool, and it's handy when the pipe is in a confined space, but as Bob Minchin says carpenters pincers are just as good if, as in your case, access isn't an issue.

Don? try pliers - they slip off the ears and you end up with blood blisters - AMHIK :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I agree, the ebay tool I bought for a fuel pipe job was hopelessly soft. (Drive shaft gaiter clips with a single "ear" really need a different tool which also presses in the middle bit).

Reply to
newshound