Gap behind pipe with locking pipe clips (22mm & 28mm)

What is the gap from wall to the pipe with 22mm & 28mm locking pipe clips?

For those curious - I am removing an old external stub wall so a gas pipe may be run horizontally outside. The pipe will need to cross at

90-degrees some 11.4mm & 20.2mm o.d.swa cables. Most pipe clips allow factory plastic coated rigid pipe to clear a 11.4mm cable - but not a 20.2mm cable.

Clip spacers can be used - but rigid pipe becomes a bit vulnerable low on a wall (no alternative).

I could move the 20.2mm o.d. swa & jn-box off the wall onto a remaining piece of stub-wall so leaving the gas pipe to traverse just the 11.4mm o.d. swa. That might be better than clip spacers.

Reply to
js.b1

How long is a piece of string? There are many different types of pipe clips from different makers, they all vary slightly, so no-one can give a definite answer. If you need the pipe to protrude more, then do as many plumbers do, and pack them out, between the clip and wall, with cut off bits of 15mm copper pipe.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Ok, time to order some Talon locking clips & spacers from BES so I can check.

Reply to
js.b1

The posh way of doing it...

Dave Plowman (News)

I would have to slip flexible conduit over the SWA to meet the letter of BS6891 re separated by "25mm... or electrically insulated material", additionally some people (but not all) insist on factory plastic coated pipe for external re corrosion anyway.

Tracpipe (plastic coated convoluted stainless steel tube) has the benefit of "free-flowing bends", but not many people like to install it in a domestic environment - parts are pricey, little labour to fit, not much profit compared to traditional plastic coated rigid pipe.

Reply to
js.b1

I can measure the 22mm ones and spacers for you tonight if that helps, maybe the 28s as well (I think the gas pipe is attached with talons, but I can't be sure).

Reply to
Bolted

Many thanks for the kind offer, that would be great. Useful to know for the wiki FAQ really re clearances for phone/data/ cables.

If not I'll pop along to a plumbers or order from BES, they're not much.

Reply to
js.b1

15mm and 22mm both give around 11.7mm and the 28mm seems to be about the same.

The spacer gives 13mm.

Reply to
Bolted

So 24mm with a spacer... excellent, many thanks. Large enough to clear swa, small enough not to "project" the pipe off the wall re damage & aesthetics.

Raising the jn-box to 0.6m ensures sufficient cleats between itself and the gas pipe so any gland maintenance can not load the gas pipe.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

-- Jason.

Reply to
js.b1