28mm plastic pipe

Hi,

I need about 1m of 28mm plastic pipe to sleeve a 22mm gas pipe, can anyone recommend a place I can get say a 2 or 3m length from as opposed to Screwfix selling 10x3m packs ?

Thanks,

mediy

Reply to
mediy

Any of the sheds or a plumbers merchant

Or ribbed flexible pipe from any garden centre selling garden pond bits

Tony

Reply to
TMC

A length of basin waste pipe (32mm bore) from a shed should be £2.99 or thereabouts.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I guess you're after this so you can use a 25mm SDS rather than a core drill?

BES (and some plumbers merchants) do Hep20 in 6m and I think maybe 3m lengths. You may also find yellow polyethylene pipe left over from gas pipe installations in the street.

I think you _can_ use 28mm Cu as sleeve too.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hi John,

Actually, I'm using a 30mm core drill with the aim of getting a 28mm sleeve in. Can you be any more accurate about the 28mm Cu, as I have a whole load of it lying in the back yard and it would save me a lot of time hunting for 28mm plastic pipe ?

Thanks,

mediy

John Stumbles wrote:

Reply to
mediy

22mm fits though ok, I've used it a few times in the past for sleeving feed/return and gas pipes through internal blockwork walls.
Reply to
Matt

28mm copper is OD - when copper tube went metric the bores stayed almost the same, but the description was changed to OD - which makes more sense as it's what affects the fittings. 3/4" bore -> 22mm OD; 1" bore -> 28mm OD
Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reply to
mediy

Nothing wrong with it. Seal only one end.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It would be the correct thing, as the regs say 'the sleeve must be capable of carrying gas'. Frankly anyone who does things properly with a sleeve is already well ahead of the game. You really need a 28mm or 30mm core drill to get 28mm sleeving in the wall, I've tried with a 25mm SDS and the sleeve becomes too tight on the 22mm pipe.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed, sets my mind at rest. I just have to do the tricky task of enlarging the 22mm hole already there to 30mm with a core drill now!!

Ed Sirett wrote:

mediy

The Corgi man who came to commission a new instal at a job I was at, used a

28mm Cu pipe as a sleeve, and as someone else said, "seal one end only" - however he said seal the outside - so the gas would leak into the inside. He was recently qualified so I guess he new his stuff, unless he got it completely the wrong way round

I think I would have chosen the other way round - if I was away for a fortnight and gas was filling up the house, I would prefer it to be leaking to the outside.

I believe the sleeve is to stop the cavity from potentially filling up with gas..

Nick

Reply to
Nick

He did get it completely the wrong way round.

and you would have got it correct, just by using common sense.

Yes, that too. However, the sleeve is required in the case of no cavity too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I had some offcuts of 28mm Hep2O to use for sleeving I found they generally worked with my 25mm SDS if I waggled it around in the hole to open it up slightly (fnaaar, fnaaar!). I agree a core drill is the way to go, but can be a PITA for sticking if you're drilling downwards in damp brick (even with a 25mm hole knocked through forward of it to help clear debris).

Reply to
John Stumbles

I guess so.

The chapter and verse are linked below.

...where a sleeve passes through an external wall the seal shall be on the inside of the wall.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well I'll be giving it a go tomorrow weather permitting, got my 30mm TCT core bit today. I'm running a 22mm pipe from the ground floor up to the loft along the outside of the house. Truth be told I had already done it (though not connected the pipe to anything yet) and then read the bit about sleeving in the FAQ so just doing it to comply and its not too much of a pain as I haven't connected it to anything yet.

I guess even the professi> >

mediy

That had me worried as I had used 40mm pvc soil pipe to sleeve 28mm copper, but on referring to the regs (thanks) they say "capable of containing gas" and include pvc as a suitable material.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander