Mums Microwave died.

I had an idea that instead of income tax, if we taxed *new* stuff, the country would repair a huge amount more stuff than it does. And create rather more worthwhile jobs than speed awareness course instructors..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Push buttons? Defrost? That sort of stuff would constitute seriously advanced microwave control technology for my mum.

As it turns out, my mum was mysterious given a brand new microwave which a friend of a friend was throwing out that had been, er, chosen from Amazon on account of its dead simple one dial timer. Twist it to the minute setting you want and it starts. Bingo.

At 30 odd years old, you microwave is pretty venerable too. What model is it?

Reply to
pamela

I've found they work better than the other hoovers I've had, they arent perfect but they cetainly worked better. Although I haven't tried the new look a likes.

And I prefer Macs lots of peole given the choice do.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes, first time as usually I'd slice off a bit of butter.

out 15 seconds also the lowest setting, I set it off and ion under 5 mins

well I acutally meant in under 5 secs I just heard a noise a "phut" sort of noise.

size block of butter.

Well no not until I heard the phut sound the last time I heard that was whe n I tried to re-heat a chicken wing but that was 25 years ago, that caught light too but that was because I left it 5 mins. yes 5 mins .

Yeah, I never expected it to flame like it did, I guess the foil sparked an d the butter was fuel and then the whole wrapper started. I manged to blow the flame out but it ignited again, which also suprised me as the oven door was open and or course the microwaves off. So after it ignited I decide a saucer was need so I could throw it in the sink. The butter was 3 weeks out of date anyway and I had a new one so wasn't wor ried.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

Yesterday, I saw a local council truck, one of those with a metal cage around the load, it was absolutely brim full of Dyson vacs. There must have been hundreds of them. It just seemed odd that there were just Dyson vacs in there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What about when it says no user servicable parts inside ?

And yet some repair things because they can, then there's an explosion and the whole house is wrecked. ;-)

Yes also sometimes money is more important than time, but not always, sometimes it's the time that's more important.

g is... well, brainless.

And you know what blew the fuse. I've had a student here that has blown about 20 1 amp fuses and he has no i dea why they are blowing, I would hope that someone that's gets a degree in electronic engineering might be able to figure it out.

That's good but how would you have felt if after taking it home and spend a while on it to find out it was the motor, so you now have to get rid of it yourself.

believe a lot of nonsense.

And it's usually those in charge of others and have no practicel skills, Usually these peole are higher up the salery scale, I wonder why sometimes.

I wouldn't like to think people always 'fixed' things themselves.

Unless yuo had permission that makes you a thief doesn't it. :)

snip

Yep sometime these things are just too much hassle, but it;s worth going to the skip because sometimes dyson offer £100 of any exchanged cleaner against a new dyson.

and know how to use it and now you can save money but don;t think it's wort h it.

Yes strange I know quite a few people that don't own multi-meters.

I've managed to live without an iron or an ironing board but I couldn't exi st without a soldering iron. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nothing sucks like a dies-soon....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder if they have someone who will buy them off the Council / Refuse_site_franchise to refurbish them?

In the old days you could buy that sort of thing from the tip, often for just a couple of quid but now Elfin Safety won't let you.

Luckily we still have Freecycle. The stepdaughter came round and mentioned her vacuum cleaner wasn't very good (even from new).

I had quick look on Freecycle and someone was offering a Dyson multi-cyclone jobby locally. Long-short, got it home an hour later, cleaned it out with the Henry and it was working as good as new. I didn't let her take it but stripped it down completely and washed all the plastic bits in the bath and after that it also looked like new. She's still using it a few years later. ;-)

I've only ever bought one Dyson new (DC-01) and we don't really use it much, preferring the Miele Big Cat n Dog for the main stuff (mainly because it's quieter), the Dyson cylinder I got off Freecycle for the car / stairs and the Henry for the heavier stuff.

We are considering a portable of some sort and have a little Lidl Lithium jobby (that looks very much like the old B&D Dust Buster) but it's pretty useless. I can't really justify the price of the Dyson portables but not sure what else there is out there?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Who takes any notice of that? ;-)

Ah, there are also people out there who don't know their own limits. ;-(

Quite.

Yup.

Hehe.

I would have felt that at least I tried. I work on the basis that I have little to lose and potentially quite a lot to gain.

Often but not always. I have been lucky where most of the places I've work my bosses had been there and done that etc.

Me too mate but it's rarely the case (as I know as I'm often the one fixing it for them).

No. I did it for the owner who was going to throw it in the skip, had I / we got it working. ;-)

Yes, that's true (and a good point if I get a Dyson portable). ;-)

Yup. And whilst I'm the worst for investing time and money in what most might call 'lost causes', even I have lines that I have to draw.

Maybe that's because I have had and used one since I was about 10 and couldn't really live (my current life) without one (several). ;-)

Hehe, same here Dave. In fact I can't think of the last time any of us ironed any of our clothes and the last time I used an iron was either putting on some edging or salvaging wet pages on a car handbook or somesuch. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had one at home and one at work.

I've got two dysons at home and one at work. I got the new dyson fluffy at work, I want one of them at home now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Forgot to say that people have used dust pans/brooms for millenia and they are very cheap in fact you can make your own, whehter it will work as well as a dyson depends on yuor POV just like being in or out of the EU.

This should be the debate anthem. The Clash :- Should I say or should I go.

Should I stay or should I go now... If I stay they will be trouble, if I leave it will be double....

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ok.

Ok, so what's so special about the 'Fluffy' over the 'Absolute, Total Clean or Animal' (apart from it sounding a bit lame that is). ;-)

Would it last long enough to actually clean a car out to a reasonable level?

What would you say are it's strong and weal points in real-world use?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite, and people (often with stone / dirt floors) are still using bundles of twigs lashed together but I'm not sure how well they would get into the nooks and crannies on the car? ;-)

I might try what our daughter does and clean the front of her van out with a leaf blower. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

g is... well, brainless.

believe a lot of nonsense.

Kids should generally get some basic mechanical competence during their tee ns or earlier. Mountains of waste result from not doing so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Defrost is 30% almost always, very occasionally 40%.

Electronically controlled ones add more failures & more complexity. The ability to set it to 2 stage cooking is in practice pretty useless. How often are you not present when the 2nd program needs to start?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

and which domestic appliances do you believe contain a bomb? Too silly.

Lots more silliness snipped.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Agreed.

The problem is, once you have a generation of people who aren't 'hands on', the chances are their offspring will end up the same.

We involved our child in whatever we were doing where appropriate, be it cooking to painting, working on a motorbike or helping me build a bench for the workshop.

How many parents today have built a dolls house with their child (getting them to cut out all the smaller parts on a vibro saw), or got them soldering up an LED based project when they were 5?

If the parents can't do those things, how can you expect them to do them with their kids so where will the kids learn about such things?

I was lucky because I was brought up in an age when most people did some stuff (at least) and when being given a small woodworking kit for my birthday present was something I wanted, used and appreciated.

I learned at an early age that if it was raining and there was nowhere better it was perfectly 'acceptable' for someone to work on their Lambretta in the kitchen (my Uncle) or their bicycle (many people) or grind the valves on their Triumph Vitesse (my mate in my lounge) or the same on our kitcar (my Mrs in our kitchen).

Now houses aren't for doing the things we do in, they are supposed to be empty, clinical show homes that never seem to see a meal cooked, let alone a bicycle serviced. ;-(

Given the nature of this group, I wonder how many here would (or would be allowed to if with someone) do any of that sort of work in their houses?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok.

Yup, like how many of us have used all the program on our washing machines?

Quite. I guess it might mean you can defrost and fully heat / cook the item without having to attend it inbetween (even if you are there).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some route is needed. Today there is the maker scene.

I pity those that chose a diy incompatible SO.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is indeed.

True. (Not sure it's quite the same as the 'old days' though and I think they still count).

Me too, and I come across them all the time. I went to (carefully) put down a cardboard box on a dining room table round my mates house and he stopped me because he said 'she' would have a fit if she saw that? (FFS)

I wonder how she would react if she saw me repairing the ally motor mount for my pillar drill with J B Weld (as I just did here). ;-)

Mine doesn't even notice / care as it could equally be something of hers I'm repairing. ;-)

The last thing she helped me with indoors (that I might ideally have built in the shed or garage) was a bench for daughters woodworking lathe that we built in the kitchen. Nothing that wouldn't Hoover up (mainly sawdust) and she was also on hand with the wet rag for the PVA gluing sessions. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m