Moving a projector in a school

In article , Lurch of snipped-for-privacy@sjwelectrical.co.uk, felt we'd be interested in the following...

I, as a colleague, observe him carrying out the task and believe he is competent to do so. That is my opinion based on a variety of factors centering on common sense, and it very much counts "here" so far as this thread is concerned at least.

There is no probably about it AFAIC.

I never generalised. I've explained why our establishment carries out 'on site' testing and who does it. Your generalisations were incorrect in respect of our site.

You implied incompetence before you knew the facts and expressed uncertainty over the legality of the procedure.

We didn't just go out and buy a PAT tester and declare ourselves 'fit for purpose' - although I suspect that does occur - we had a financial, operational and legal reason to do so.

I suppose that's one way to admit you are wrong.

HAND.

Reply to
Tx2

I do hope that you've had the appropriate training on PAT testing then!

Reply to
Robert Moir

That was certainly how I arrived at most of my "fail" conclusions for kit back when I did the job.

Reply to
Robert Moir

In article , Robert Moir of snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, felt we'd be interested in the following...

Define appropriate training? Legislation only requires that the tester be competent.

Our site manager felt I was competent enough to PAT test some TFT monitors, showed me how to do it, what to expect, what to look for, and let me get on with it which I did succesfully.

I was, it seems, appropriately trained.

Reply to
Tx2

Indeed.

Indeed.

With no comment on your personal skills or any disrespect intended, this makes a joke of the whole thing doesn't it? My 'training' was a little more structured than that but at the end of the day this whole exercise is less to do with real safety and more to do with people in high places ticking boxes and covering their own asses.

Reply to
Robert Moir

What sort of warning?

Reply to
SteveT

It looks like some installer had fitted the projector into a plasterboard ceiling and it fell off during a weekend.

The warning came by a fax from (?) county, I think.

All the projectors at the school I worked at conformed to all safety checks.

They are proposing to install another system in a portacabin. I wonder how they will make that one safe?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Isn't there a better way of stating Portable Appliance Testing testing?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Since this is cross posted to an education group, I am surprised that this poster does not know the difference between an ass and an arse :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's a bit like AC current, IF frequency, etc...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't know. Why don't you try saying it out loud with and without the redundancy at the end and then come back and tell us which feels most natural to you. If you have time out of your busy schedule of nit-picking that is.

Reply to
Robert Moir

You missed off "actually do know what they are doing" :)

Reply to
Mark Evans

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:38:03 +0000, Mark Evans mused:

Very good.

Reply to
Lurch