modern/cheap ballcocks

every one I've encountered previously had a screw adjustment

the one in my flat has a copper arm which you bend up/down to adjust the fill level in the cistern

no wonder the country's in the state it is......

--

Gill Smith

But now the screw can't corrode and seize...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Gill Smith set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

Mine is like that, dating from the 1950's. The hole that the handle goes into has given way so currently the handle just hangs limp. To get anything out of it one must reach inside and work it up and down by hand.

Getting old you see.

Reply to
Prai Jei

cistern?

Reply to
cynic

every time I get my water bill!

--

Gill Smith

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:32:13 -0000, Gill Smith wrote the following to uk.misc:

Once a year then? Brick in the cistern is the traditional way of doing it.

In my last place I had a water meter installed and then wondered why the bills went from about £25/month to around £80. They couldn't fit one inside the house so it went in the back garden, and until then no-one realised the main was shared with the family of 4 next door. Thankfully I got it sorted out just before I moved out.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

They all used to work like that...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you are referring to the flush mechanism - not the ball-c*ck.

The ball-c*ck takes care of filling the cistern to the correct level..

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

No, he means the float arm.

Reply to
DeadMangledPigeon

Tell me about it...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

They are the modern ones.

Which were much more efficient & easier to adjust.

This has to be some kind of troll surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The bc takes care of *stopping* it filling, above the correct level.

Reply to
Jaf

Its weight ensures that the valve opens when the water level falls, so it does both.

Of course, the term really applies to the whole assembly of float and valve anyway.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

that is a BIG saving

when I went over to a meter, I've had to pare consumption to the bone (about half the UN recommended amount to keep people alive)

and I save about £30 p.a. (10-15% savings)

--

Gill Smith

Don't be silly.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have exactly the opposite problem. We had a plumber to replace the mechanism in a low-level wc as SWMBO started moaning about my lack of success at getting it to flush and not overflow and my regular pops out to B&Q for a different bit.

The plumber fitted exactly the same pile of plastic rubbish that I'd been fitting and about 3 days later there was the spout over the kitchen window. In desperation I got the plastic float arm off and formed an S-bend by boiling and bending. This was fine, years passed, until the siphon stopped siphoning and inlet valve partly failed. The plumber was booked and I asked him to spare no expense. He replaced the whole assembly with a modern plastic one. One day later, there was the overflow past the kitchen window again. This time I just held the plastic under the hot tap and bent a bit and the float arm now is in just works bodge-mode.

I totally agree with the OP's hinted view that the country is on a huge downhill technological slide. Just that he used the wrong example.

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

But he didn't mention a *saving*, did he?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Amazing - been in the house 23 years - Downstairs bog is all original (plastic). Upstairs is a Fluidmaster - fitted for quietness about 18 years ago. Never a problem other than a new washer in the original. Flush siphons all original. 4 in house most of time.

Taps also original - occasionally stripped and greased - but that might be a bit nurdy.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

"A bit"?

Reply to
DeadMangledPigeon

I can think of better things to strip & grease.

Reply to
August West