Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

strictly they didn't place a corrupted .iso on mints servers, they changed a link there to pint to a dodgy one somewhere else entirely.

Since there are dozens of servers that carry perfectly good copies as well, the checksum would have them revealed itself to be bogus.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes, windows is for dummies dennis, we already know that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course, statistically it can be the only / true answer:

I've given most people I've helped with their computers a chance to see / try Linux (via a Live CD / USB etc) and some have allowed me to actually install it alongside Windows, dual boot.

Very very few have ever used Linux after the first time they try to do something *they want* and find they can't do it on Linux (like access their iTunes Music Store account or run their favourite game or program etc).

And that's it. That's not saying that Linux is bad or that Windows (or OSX / Android) is good, it just Windows, being the de-facto standard is likely to please more of the people more of the time.

I even tried running a Linux server but after getting very frustrated, gave up and actually paid money for Windows Home Sever that installed simply and easily and has been running every day ever since and doing more that I could ever get a Linux server to do.

If you do want acceptance in the tiny minority that make up the Linux geekdom you *have* to speak of Linux as being the best thing since sliced bread and denounce everything else. Then you can post the fact that a backdoor was put in a Linux .iso image and not be considered one of the Linux realists. 'If you aren't with us you must be against us' sorta childish logic. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I simply don't believe that for one instant.

Linux users have much in common with Apple OS users.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I may have misunderstood, and I no longer have any access MS subscription services, but they seem still to provide hashes (SHA-1 ) for subscriber downloads. Eg for Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1511 (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)

shows SHA1: 777A9FB18FB23D545D91903B118CA1AC57F49291

But I agree they are less good at providing them for consumer downloads - and with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool AIUI every ISO ends up with a different hash anyway to make life more rich and varied ;)

Reply to
Robin

It depends on how you download it. If you use the official app it checks.

If you download and iso you can find the sum near the download.

Of course there are loads of "free" windows isos about.

Reply to
dennis

Don't worry, very few do (and we know who do). ;-)

I'd agree, I've probably had as much luck finding programs and getting hardware compatibility with OSX as I have Linux, but at least with Linux I don't have to buy special hardware to run it on (well, not as often as OSX anyway). ;-)

But then even Linus agrees that Linux hasn't made it big on the desktop and I'd take anything he says (as it was his 'baby') over any blinkered fanatic any day.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Now we can wait for the strawman re 'desktops are on the decline ... ' comments ...

Reply to
T i m

Couldn't the guys who changed the link on the Mint server also have changed the check sum there?

Reply to
GB

Now reports forums were hacked too

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The dummies are the ones that need windows programs but run linux to get a second rate experience.

Us sensible ones run both OSes as we need. We don't download infected ISOs either.

Reply to
dennis

and how about Apple's OS and RISC OS? - and Android?

Reply to
charles

Hehe, quite ... or even more hypocritical, run Windows and programs on a virtual machine and say they aren't running Windows and Linux is all they need!

Bingo! (Or 4 OS's, if you count OSX and Android separately).

I could have ... I'm about to download Mint 17.3 for a friend. That would have been a nice present eh! ;-(

Ah, maybe I can't ... still broken:

"Unable to connect".

So, I just downloaded a Windows / GUI based checksum thingy (I gave up the CLI after DOS 6.2)

and it tells me my copy of 32 bit Cinnamon 17.3 from the 5th of Jan has a checksum of:

6e7f7e03500747c6c3bfece2c9c8394f

Which according to here:

is ok. What a lot faffing this Linux hobby (hobby Linux?) is. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The silly thing is that if you had tried to download it using IE on windows the smart screen filter would probably have flagged it as suspect because so few would have done so.

Reply to
dennis

I use android, I don't use apple anything as they cost too much, I have never looked at risc OS.

Reply to
dennis

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." - Dilbert

Reply to
Martin Barclay

I do exactly the opposite.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

On 22/02/16 13:24, Jethro_uk wrote: [...]

And this is maybe the more alarming news. I you ever had a login and pass for the mint forum you had better not have used the same password for bank and paypal.

TW

Reply to
TimW

In Ghod's name, why?

Reply to
Huge
[big snip]

tl;dr; or whatever the acronym is.

Try to be more concise in future, T i m.

Reply to
Tim Streater

F'k knows (never used it).

It's a 'discussion group' Tim, not just for 'clever one-liners'. ;-)

So, did you actually have something you wanted to comment on or can I take it that you agree with it all?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m