Line marking paint

Plenty of places sell the aerosol cans of line marking paint - the stuff used for car park bays, but nobody seems to be able to say how far a can goes?

I've got to mark out 5 bays, figured on 4" wide lines on 3 sides.

No idea if I need 1 can, 5 cans, 10 cans?

Anyone have any experience of using this stuff?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Google is your friend:

Spamlet

Well you haven't that's for sure!

Yes, I have used the stuff, but remember, the thicker and wider the application along with the material you are spraying (oh and the size of the can) will determine how much the tin will do - now how about telling the group the size of the base and material to be sprayed, so that they can put away the crystal balls and someone perhaps can give you an answer.

I suspect that now you are now getting out of your depth with the work that you are taking on if the last couple of questions that you've asked are anything to go by. *eg*

Reply to
Unbeliever

Yes, go to your friendly local hire shop and hire the walky line painter machine. Buy a box of a dozen cans on sale-or-return.

How far each can goes depends on how fast you walk the walky thing and whether you need to go over it again. Price for (say) four cans and tell the customer there will be a surcharge if you use more. You can't fully predict how much you'll need.

Take walky thing back to hire shop and get money back on unused cans (or keep them for another day).

said all that, be aware that paint won't last more than two years or so (depending on how much sun and how much wear it gets), so make sure that your customer understands it's paint you're putting down, not bitumen (which essentially lasts for ever)!

Reply to
Dave Osborne

for that. I looked at cans in Wickes & Screwfix and they had no info.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'BING'

You mean the friendly local hire shop my mate owns? Why didn't I think of that?

They will prolly know from experience.

Yeah. Big difference between paint & the stuff used for yellow lines.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman said the following on 27/07/2010 19:57:

Not a direct answer to your Q. But at work our local handyman ;-) has been using a tape that he heats onto the tarmac. Unfortunately I can't find it in Google for you and I am trying to remember if he uses a hot iron (square piece of metal not what you might use on your clothes) to stick it or flame or both.

If it helps a little.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

Don't you pity the poor buggers that get the awful job of torching off the remains of the old lines, in the middle of the night so people don't notice the smoke, before putting on the new. That's one awful job not to hang around for I'd say!

Spamlet

Thermoplastic line marking tape

glass beads on it whilst hot if you want it retro-refklective.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I fear Google can read minds. Assume they can and ask what you will:

|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ei=M2NPTK21FYnw0wTjr6WZBw&ved=0CBEQpwU(that's all one link but if it doesn't work for you you can still see what I asked)

Spamlet

In message , Charles C writes

The stuff I've seen the local road gangs using outside our house was done with a gas bow torch.

This sort of stuff.

I'd imagine this lasts better than the aerosol paint.

You can also get an adhesive tape as well.

Reply to
chris French

And Cataphos road marking paint (scroll down)

Owain

Oh I don't know, they look like serious blow torches/lances to play with!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I used to use it for marking out the parking bays at my factories. I used 2" lines - I suspect 4" is a bit of overkill - and would expect to use 2-3 cans to mark five bays. However, it does depend upon how quickly you walk and hence how thick a paint layer you are aiming for.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tips....

1 For straight lines use the edge of a scaff board if using the walk along stroller type machine.

2 If no machine then make a spray guide from 2 planks held apart at the correct line width by some 2x2

3 Several light coats if doing freehand, or slower when using machine.

4 If a more permanent job is required then use the heat fixed tape type.http://prismogroup.com/products/road-markings/flexiline/Have fun....

Reply to
Me Here

Don't know if it's the same stuff, but I've seen it come off. Transco dug up our road across the give-way markings, and taped new ones down about 4 months ago. Half of them are still there.

Funniest one I saw was on the M1 at J9 during roadworks where they used them to temporarily move the lanes. Hot day, they came unstack, carried some yards on the car tyres, and stuck themselves down again. Wish I could have stopped to take a picture - it looked like a completely pissed road gang must have laid them on the way back from a pub crawl.

There seems to be a black version for obscuring white lines too, which in the wet with reduced lighting, are indistinguishable from white lines.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Me Here wrote: ...

I always found following a chalk line perfectly adequate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've been wondering for years what they used for that.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave

I happened to watch them for a few minutes putting lines down a few months ago on a town centre public road. They were using some sort of ready made line and seemed to just lay it down, then remove some paper cover from what little I could see. Might that stuff be an option?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Charles C expressed precisely :

That sounds like what I saw (see above).

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield