Lidl 3.6v Li-Ion Screwdriver

Anyone got one? What's it like?

It seems to tick all but one box for my requirements. The box that isn't ticked is Spindle Lock. Can it be used like a normal screwdriver when the battery is flat or you have a really recalcitrant fixing.

With the =A311.99 offer coming up it's probably a better bet than the hassle of recelling the ancient B&D cordless screwdriver.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dunno but B&Q are selling off their McAlister ones for £10. Also 3.6v, no spindle lock. Not bad for the money, bought one to keep in the pocket whilst wandering about the Uni where I do a day a week. Not a patch on the Makita TD020DSE mind.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What to nick toilet signs :)

Reply to
munki

I picked up one of those MAC ones too. Not bad for a tenner and seems to hold a fair bit of charge. It seems that you can use it 'manually' as the spindle seems to be locked when you don't pull the trigger: At least I managed to shift a stubborn screw like that yesterday!

Reply to
GMM

I'm a traffic cone man myself :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spindle lock is one of the boxes I'd really like ticked. Another is the abilty to use it straight rather than like a gun. The Lidl Parkside jobbie can go straight as well as gun mode.

Yeah but I don't do much deck building or driving screws into oak. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is a benefit agreed, Makita does that.

The TD020DSE isn't up to that, great for flat pack, removing screws in door hinges etc. Excellent on screws up to about 40mm.

With the decking, I started with a 12v Mak impact driver with 1.3 a/hh NiCd's but it quickly became clear it was knocking seven bells out of the batteries. Bought a mains Mak inpact driver for the cost of a battery.

Since aquired a 14.4v Mak impact driver with 2 x 3 a/hr NiMh batteries in exchange for a duff Mak autofeed screwdriver. 'Kin awesome!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looks as if it is very long when in that mode. The current ancient B&D is only about 12" long.

The quoted 2,300 rpm worries me that is one of the reasons I don't like usings a drill as a driver they go to damn fast. At low speeds they lack torque so you have to pull harder on the trigger and if it slips and/or the stiction drops the screw is driven in too far before you can let go the trigger.

The 100 odd rpm is fast enough at high torque is plenty fast enough for most jobs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is the free running speed. Which in practice it doesn't achieve, except when unscrewing. It goes into 'impact' mode very quickly. Never had a problem with it driving in screws too far. If they were that easy to drive in I'd use a screwdriver. ;-)

The little Makita in practice drives them in at about the same speed or slower than a powerful conventional one, like my mains B&D which runs at

50 rpm. It really is the dogs thingies - especially given the size. Absolutely brilliant design.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some impact drivers have variable speed triggers, my Ryobi one+ does, but its a bit big compared to the 3V6 ones. On one occasion when I forgot to take a manual screwdriver I even used it to put in some 4 x 12 mm screws without any problems.

Reply to
dennis

The B&Q jobby is around 5" long, is a fixed gun design, but does lock when the trigger isn't used. The Mak is about 7" in pistol mode & 10" in flat mode & can be locked.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use mine all the time for flatpack, driving in the cam dowels. Seems to have a clutch as it drives them in perfectly.

Agreed. Wouldn't part with mine. Great when working on a ladder or steps, slips into the side overall pocket, fantastic for old painted over screws on door hinges etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is, isn't it? No more spending ages removing all the paint - only to have a perfect screwdriver chew up the slot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)