Hot tub? Anyone got one?

Stayed in a couple of holiday lets recently that had hot tubs. I didn't think i'd be into it but love it.

Toying with the idea of getting one but I doubt we will but just wondered if others have and if so what have you got, how often do you use it and is it a faff to maintain?

Reply to
R D S

You do know that they are full of spunk, piss and spilt alcohol?

Reply to
ARW

For about £200 + VAT you can add water jets to an existing plastic bath.

Or you can get plastic air things you sit on that blow bubbles.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A long time ago I was only a young helper in a business that used to build hot-tub surrounds. The bloke I worked for _said_ that he had contracted anal warts from one where the filters and chemical maintenance was not done properly and it had seen a lot of er, action.

I have never enjoyed a hot tub since.

TW

Reply to
TimW

If you're using them right, yes!

Reply to
R D S

:-)

Reply to
ARW

Did his Mrs believe him?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Exactly. When someone is explaining how they got a dose of that you have to wonder if they may not be giving you the whole truth. TW

Reply to
TimW

I had one in a previous house. (Jacuzzi) The main thing is to drain them after use. There's no way you can ensure the water is clean if left full, all sorts of bugs can breed there. But then I had a private water source and solar heating for the water. Anal warts, doubt it. Just an urban myth. Legionaires, Cryptosporidium, Escherichia coli and Norovirus more likely.

Outdoor ones are bigger risk (birdshit etc.)

Like everything else, boring after the novelty has worn off. So, never bothered fitting one in the house I have now. Plus it would have been expensive to run.

Reply to
harry

IS that a pun?

Reply to
billyorange007

My daughter and her husband have one, and wouldn't be without it. It cost about £10,000 fully installed, and I would imagine running costs are fairly high - it has to be left on all the time. Well, not sure about 'has to be' but they say it's better to.

All this talk about hygiene is largely nonsense - well certainly for family use, can't comment about other activities that some here might get up to! The only maintenance - apart from occasional emptying and refilling - is the addition of some chemicals every other day. Not sure what they are, but it's only a teaspoonful or so - depending on usage. There is no concern about stuff getting into the tub because they come with a tight fitting cover (theirs is outside).

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I'd hope the filtration would sort that out. Besides, the fact is that those things may not do you much harm anyway, its static water that gets infested by nasty bugs and stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They probably leave the CH on all the time because its cheaper than heating it up again!

Its not nonsense, you need a filter, I would fit a UV steraliser as well.

Reply to
dennis

The problem as I understand it is the length of time they take to warm up (many hours).

So if it wasn't left on you wouldn't be having an impromptu dip.

Reply to
R D S

Maybe they should put a better lid on it.

Reply to
dennis

People have died at garden centres with display-hot-tubs before now because no-one had the training to treat them with the correct chemicals to prevent infestation with the legionnaires bug.

Reply to
Andrew

A semi-family member died in one. And they did not find him for several days...

Never since had the slightest temptation to try one.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

a.k.a. whoopee cushion

Reply to