Ledgends of DIY #2: Reg Prescott

Ok, we've done Barry Bucknell. Younger enthusiasts of our hobby may not have known about Barry, but they may remember this other somewhat accident-prone DIYer and his escapades:

cd

Sorry, *Legends* !!

Reply to
cd

That's yer feet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Michael Foot - a legend in his own time.

Reply to
PeterC

This thread reminded me of a guy with a Scandinavian accent who seemed to know all about almost every cars problems. He did phone ins and some local tv stuff at one time many years ago. I found it fascinating even though I never had a car. Things like the heat from the engine evaporating the fuel in a line which went over a hot part of an engine making it not start reliably etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ok, we've done Barry Bucknell. Younger enthusiasts of our hobby may not=20

Or for pure farce try

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I remember that show. I also like Red Green's "Handyman Corner"; here's an idea for an automatic lawnmower:

Adam Funk

Hillman Imp?

Reply to
charles

Hillman Limp? I bought a Californian at the Camberley auction house about 40 years ago. Ex police car in fair nick and low mileage. Turned out that the car had had been modded by Surrey police as a potential Q car. Flowed head and manifolds, Weber carb, improved exhaust, stiffer suspension, slightly wider wheels etc. It didn't look out of the ordinary. Rejected by the powers that be as insufficient room for hats to be worn and lack of room for any arrested persons. That car was fast. IIRC the speedo went to 90mph and this thing would happily go well off the speedo. All with that dreadful little Coventry Climax (converted) lump. Only had it a couple of months before it was stolen. Used in a bank robbery and found some while later under 30ft of water in a local gravel pit. Ho hum.

Reply to
Nick

The "Imp" I liked had a 1.6l Lotus Cortina on the back seat. Unless you looked inside the only give away was the "twin Cam by Lotus" badge on the back. It featured in various motor rallies in Surrey in the late 60s.

Reply to
charles

Is that the basis of the halfrauds skit of the guy trying yo change the headlight bulb in a volvo -"stupid carr" etc

Jim K

/This thread reminded me of a guy with a Scandinavian accent who seemed to know all about almost every cars problems. He did phone ins and some local tv stuff at one time many years ago. I found it fascinating even though I never had a car. Things like the heat from the engine evaporating the fuel in a line which went over a hot part of an engine making it not start reliably etc. Brian /q

Reply to
JimK

We had a 1948 Morris Commercial that did that, so you had to keep the petrol flowing or you were stuck. My dad zoomed past an Edinburgh cop on point duty and with his right hand up with the shouted explanation, "Can't stop, faulty engine!" We escaped back to England without being apprehended.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Heathen! Go wash your mouth out!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And the crazy thing is, the cop probably thought: "oh, faulty engine, fair enough." Kids today don't have a clue how free and easy everything used to be once upon a time here in Britain.

Reply to
cd

It would probably be cheaper anyway to pay a fine to the police than to stop and be nabbed by an Edinburgh parking warden.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog