Kitchen Downlights - Any Recommendations?

I want to fit some recessed spots in the kitchen to replace the cheap and nasty spots that are currently there. The kitchen (2.5m x 2.5m) is currently quite dark so I was thinking of 4-6 adjustable downlights. My main requirements are:

- Want to keep the running costs down (the kitchen lights tend to get left on for most of each evening)

- Am happy to use LEDs (don't care about the color of the light etc.)

- But must be bright enough

- Am happy to use 12V transformers if required or simply stick with 240V

Any recommendations of what set up I should go for?

I'll probably drop in to Screwfix to pick up the fittings and lamps (although I think John Rumm suggested these recently

Charlie

How tall is the room? Taller rooms are easier since you get more beam divergence from a spot by the time it gets to where you want it.

using a light meter placed on the work surface below the lights (I have four on tracklight pointed at different bits of the room (with some overlap) currently three halogen, one LED). So while not particularly scientific in nature, it was obvious that the patch of space illuminated mainly by the LED was actually a little brighter than the other bits illuminated mostly by dichroic 12V halogen. (although these were lamps nearing the end of their life)

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry John I completely missed your reply. Yes the room is about 10/11ft so that should be OK.

I've fitted some LV Transformers and am currently running 4 standard 50W halogens - almost too bright!

The spec on Amazon say that the lamps run off 240V (not 12V) is that correct? Someone else posted a review on Amazon saying they were sh*t and didn't work with his transformers.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote in news:8a190600-4046-44f0-a7f0- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have had these strongly recommended:

DerbyBorn

If you mean these:

they run from the 12V transformer.

Can't speak for his transformer, but the one I have works on mine. (not sure if four would work on mine - might be too little load)

Reply to
John Rumm

China, via eBay

Either LED downlighters, or GU10 downlighters with 60 LED lamps in them. T= he moulded plastic LEDs have a slightly wider view angle than the square su= rface mount LEDs. You can get bright, wide, good colours for as low as = =A33-=A35 these days,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA106B4565F64Cjohnplant90ntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

Problem with wrapping. JCC.co.uk and look for LED7

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Charlie wrote: [snip]

Charlie can you look at how the majority reply to a post and copy what they do? It's really poor form to quote every bit of the preceding post including the signature.

Hmm erindoors had the kitchen lighting done while I was away working. It is lit by a dozen 12v 50W halogen lamps. The room is 15ft by 11ft. I'm hacked off by profligate use of 600W of lighting for one room so I'm experimenting with LED. In the living room 4x3W LED have replaced her use of 240W of lighting and provides the same light level. Replacing the 50W halogens in the kitchen gives an acceptable light level (again 3W LED). I've done this as an experiment but I now need to rewire the kitchen lighting to run off one transformer instead of the four currently fitted.

The experiment worked, 12x3W LED give Lught intensity close to 12x50W halogen or at least close enough for my wife not to notice the change.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you actually measured the levels or is this just by eye? My 9W LED is a little be brighter than the 50W LR16 it replaced (it claims an equivalence of 55W), but I would be surprised if a third of the power could manage the same with all other things being equal. (it might manage it with narrower beam width - and if you have enough fittings then that give an adequate result)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm using the Mk 1 wife as the illumination monitor. If she doesn't complain it is fit for purpose.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm just after the lamps themselves, I've fitted the fixings and transformers.

Reply to
Charlie

Yep they are the ones, there available again now so I'll get them. I've one one transformer per lamps rather than one for all 4.

Reply to
Charlie

So long as the transformer will go down to a load small enough that should be fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I believe the advantage of a unit such as this JCC downlight is that the components are all well matched and heat disapation is properly designed in. Has anyone used these?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Actually, good point, I might have to run two bulbs from one transformer.

Reply to
Charlie