Keston Questions (noise and flue options)

Page 2 of 2

Andrew,
There a number of options here. Firstly the waste pipe used for the exhaust of a Keston has to be mPVC, which is more heat resistant. You can put an air admittance valve on the top of the existing 110mm plastic stack in the loft. Then use the same hole in the roof to run the Keston exhaust. The existing hole maybe too big for the 2 to 2.5" exhaust pipe of the Keston. Then it may be wise to use mPVC 110mm pipe for the section that runs through the roof tiles. A bird guard must be fitted on the top of the 110mm pipe. Then you have no need to go outside on the roof. The air intake can be terminated at the eves.
Or remove the stack completly and use hepVO drain traps on all the upstairs appliances. see: http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/ and click on HepVO.
Good thinking Andrew. I never ROFLed

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:48:59 +0000, Andrew

It's pretty much academic.
If you download the Keston installation manual, you will find that it refers to specific British standards on where flues may run and be located, and adds some manufacturer specific options, which the regulations allow.
If you want to do something different, then it would be advisable to contact the manufacturer's technical department.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andrew wrote:

Ok that gives me a better picture. Is there anything to stop drain sourced methane falling down the boiler flue (when it is not lit) and getting into the combustion chamber? I'm not familiar with keston boilers.. As someone else has suggested, the manufacturer might be able to help. Doesn't heating come under bldg regs now? How about asking the council technical services people who are usually most helpful?
Bob

In theory this sounds fine. But, the stack is open so air is drawn in to prevent suction as large volumes of water go down the waste (like a bath emptying along with the washing machine and dishwasher). Dragging toxic fumes into a sewer is rather naughty.

I've just moved into a house with a Keston K130 installed on the outside wall of a large airing cupboard (constructed of plasterboard) on the middle floor of 3. I wouldnt want to try to sleep in the room next to it and it's easily audible from the room above. It is a LOT noisier than the gloworm combi i had in my last place. We're going think about adding some sound insulation to the airing cupboard. Our manual recommends against attaching to partition walls.
I've no comparison to other condensing boilers so this may be typical and mine is a different model to the Celsius so YMMV.

I've recently got a Celsius 25 in the kitchen and I think it's extremely quiet; I was worried by that statement in the instructions as well.
You can tell it's running when on "full burn", on lower speeds you have to look at the indicators to tell if it's on or not. Even on full throttle it makes about the same noise as the fridge. I wouldn't worry about it.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 05:42:51 +0000, anthony james wrote:

The C130 is much a bigger and noisier boiler and a susperceded model. My own Celsius 25 is in a cupboard on the landing and I can't tell whether it is going or not - even for the first minute when it goes flat out.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk