Boiler with cheaper flue options?

I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive combi for a one-bedroom flat=20 i'm renovating. The boiler is to be sited in a hall cupboard, with=20 the flue extending vertically for 12ft, through the loft, and out the=20 roof. I live in Scotland where as i understand it,a standard=20 efficiency boiler can still be fitted.

I was thinking of buying a Baxi Combi 105E for around about =A3600,=20 which is 'suitable for installation in unventilated enclosures'. =20 However, the distance to the roof means i need to buy a standard flue=20 (1 metre) and 3 one-metre extensions, bringing the cost of the flue to=20 almost =A3200.

Can anyone recommend boiler that comes with a cheaper flue?

Some other points:

- the boiler can be sited anywhere else

- the flue can only extend through the roof

thanks

Daljit

Reply to
Daljit

Oops, that should have read:

Reply to
Daljit

If it's a top-floor flat and you have the loft above, can't the boiler go in there?

Would save some space and a length of flue.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well can't is a very positive statement for someone asking about cheaper flue options. Don't forget to budget for fitting the roof terminal. Are you certain there are no other options?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

What are the other manufacturers costs like?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In the common space? I can see that causing a few problems.

I have a Keston Celsius25 and that will undoubtedly have the cheapest flue cost as it uses commercially available muPVC 50mm drainpipe but a custom roof vent would need to be fabricated. Also I hesitate to offer a full recommendation on the Keston, it doesn't have separate temperature settings for heating and hot water, and while mine has worked fine for 3 years some people have experienced quality and parts availability problems.

I've seen Aristons used as a standard fit in a complete refurb of a block of flats using long ducted flues so you can bet that their flue costs are low (or the developer wouldn't have used them) but I don't have any model numbers.

TBH, 200quid for flue extensions isn't really that big a deal, go with the best boiler for the job and swallow the cost of the extensions (unless it starts getting ridiculous).

Reply to
fred

The loft isn't owned by me - it belongs to all owners in the=20 tenement. However, running a flue through it won't be a probelm. The=20 loft is accessed by a hatch 12ft high, above the landing outside my=20 front door.

When i say 'can't be sited elsewhere', i mean i don't readily have=20 access to an external wall in any rooms in the flat.

Other manufacturers costs? The flues i've seen with one other boiler=20 (a vokera) when pretty much the same - =A350 for standard plus =A335 for=20 each extension.

Maybe there isn't a cheaper option?

Daljit

rers costs like?

Reply to
Daljit

It is uncommon for non-combi boilers of 25kW to have separate control for heating and DHW. Do you know any models that do?

I doubt that either Ariston or Baxi would be the best boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

A number of the manufacturers offer an adaptor to make use of 56mm MUPVC pipe. I've only just clocked the fact that you are fixing to sell not to dwell so you'll be looking at the crap end of the market. Which IMHO include:

B*asi, V*kera, C&M, SD, M*in, H*atLine, B&Q, W*ckes, H*lstead, R*avenheat.

here:

Ed Sirett

Ah, had failed to notice that the 2 stats I'd noticed were only on combis but that's amateurs for you. That said I think the Eco Hometec system boilers do but the manual is hiding from me at the mo.

I hope more do in the future as it is nuts to have to run a condenser at a higher circulation temp just to satisfy the DHW need.

Fair comment, when I saw the Ariston installed I tried to find out more about it for my own installation but couldn't find a thing.

Reply to
fred

Yes. I run my Keston C25 at 45C mostly, but it only does the heating, not the hot water.

Someone here did publish a mod to the front panel circuit board to force the C25 to max temp for heating the DHW. I have actually produced a prototype replacement front panel which allows full computer control of the water temperature (and read back and remote monitoring of all the front panel lamps), but I haven't had any time in the last couple of years to finish it off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yep, the ECO-Hometec is about the only quality one. Ravenheat have a model that modulates on the boiler stat setting. It has a link that is connected to the Cylinder stat and will run up to max temp. Ravenheats have 3 year guarantees now. As non-condensing heating boilers they are not bad. Simple enough.

One way around it is to have the boiler set to maximum. Have a diverter system using a 3-way diverter valve and a quick recovery coil to take all the boilers heat. Then have a pipe stat on the CH flow (or return) to keep the boiler temperature low. The cyl' stat is in series with the room stat. A bit kludgey but will work. You may need an electrical box and a relay.

Alternatively a weather compensator can switch the boiler when in CH, that will keep the CH boiler temp down most of the time. Randall-Danfoss do a good cheap compensator.

The Potterton Promax has a link on the pcb that overrides the burner modulation and leaves the burner on full rate at all times. Good for thermal stores.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Likewise although currently 50 is the order of the day here in the frozen north.

That was me :-D

Tell me about it, I have one zone per room but the controls lag the capability, currently only 3 zones have independent control.

Reply to
fred