Flue recall/replacement questions...

Hello everyone, before I ask my question, I'll tell you a little story(little winded sorry).

I moved into my house in 2002. After the close, the home seller rented the house for a well to cover the period of moving money from one house to another house's mortgage. Well at the end of the renting period, we walked through the house, and talked man to man about things he always wanted to get done, but never got around to it. Time to pass the buck to the new home owner. Nothing big, just small projects, or enhancements. While we were chatting, he explained the furnace had a flue that was against current codes, so if it needed work, it would have to be replaced. He was incorrect. The flue was on a national recall. The flue manufacturer I think is gone so the furnace maker is taking part in the rip-out. Apparently since I have a powered flue fan, and the flue can 'seperate' at the joints, it can pump massive amounts of CO into a house in a short period of time. Add in the time of day, placement of CO detectors, and delays in CO detectors, this could prove to be deadly. Well the furnace manufacture, Goodman, offers a free flue replacement, or a free sucking flue fan addon, or a complete free flue replacement with a furnace replacement as well(the furnace is at cost). I opted for the new furnance, since mine is now 12 years old and 80% effiency.

I started the process about Oct of 2004, nothing yet, Goodman is trying to get a local service person to do the job, but no luck so far. So now my question, has anyone gone through this, and can you share your experience, especially the time frame it took to get the work done?

Concerned since my flue has scortch marks(joints seperated in the past, I thought it was just dirty till I was told what to look for), and old silcone caulking from past repairs done.

thx,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

It is hard to find contractors to do this because Goodman is slow or no pay.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

It is a danger as Goodman knows as they are just being cheap and may delay it forever, people dont work for free and goodman knows it. Get a

2 regular bids and you could file in small claim for the higher amount, my filing fees are 35$ and can be done in 10 minutes at the courthouse. You can hand write your complaint. I would call Goodman get a reps name, and make the complaint out to that persons name and Goodman . You will wake them up , they will hire someone most likely in a few weeks at any price , and have you sign something that the case is settled. For my state small claims limit is 5000 so it would cover it, yours may be less so check the limit and your bid price. Or better yet call the DA office, since there is a recall and they have agreed they may be aware of the issue with other people. They may even write a letter for you and your neighbor and follow up with Goodman. It is a saftey issue so the DA may help you the most
Reply to
m Ransley

That is the hold up, the program is a few years old. So they agreed to a 'pot-size' of cash, and an amount per job. So since my neighbor and I both need the replacements, so a local vendor gave a proposal, and the goodman rep said it was too high. So they needed to renegotiate, or get more proposals, so things were out of my hands, and wait for further information. I waited, and now it seems like months have gone by with nothing done, since I had to remind them who I was.

So, wondering has anyone done this 'recall' on goodman products, and the flue replacement?

thanks,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom