Chimney flue questions

Hey guys,

At some point, I'm going to have to get some work done on my chimney.. the top of it needs to be repointed, and when I bought the house, the home inspector told me the chimney liner only extended up to the roof line not to the top of the chimney.

So I was thinking, since I'm having that work done, perhaps I could solve another problem... right now, we have a fireplace that we can not use because it is attached to the same flue as the furnace (this is an 80 year old house)....

Is it at all possible to retrofit my chimney and install 2 flues (perhaps of smaller size) instead of the one I have now?... This sounds like a dumb question whose obvious answer is no (even to me), but I just thought I'd put it out there and maybe be surprised by the answer.

Thanks,

G. Filicetti

Just a thought, since I don't know the age of your furnace and if it is gas or not, but if it ever makes sense to put a high efficiency gas furnace replacement in, it will vent through a PVC pipe in the sidewall, not the chimney, freeing the chimney up for the fireplace.

Reply to
Paul A

It is unlikely that the flue is big enough to accommodate both the fireplace and furnace as separate flues. You'd have to check with the local inspector about what type of flues would be allowed in your are and then carefully measure to see if it woulf work. Even then, you'd need to re-work the fireplace to vent into one flue and not the other - it's probably not practical to do that.

The suggestion of a new furnace with a direct vent, or a new, small chimney for the furnace , is probably the only way to do it.

Reply to
Jimmy