Joist hanger query

I bought some this morning from Travis Perkins, allegedly for 2" wide joists, which is what I asked for (the receipt says they are 50mm). However the actual gap into which the joist fits is only 42mm, which means I'd have to trim 8mm off the joist width for them to fit.

This is my first time using joist hangers (these are timber-> masonry) so forgive the ignorance; but have I been given the wrong size (which I suspect) or am I supposed to reduce the joists to fit (which sounds bizarre)?

I'd rather make a fool of myself asking the question here (where the regulars are rather more forgiving of muppets) than back in TP...

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

My joists are a genuine 2" wide, and the hangers I got from Wickes were also 2". The ones you have are for nominal 2" planed timber, which is of course smaller.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They're the wrong size - you shouldn't have to trim the joists at all. I've used these ones in the past:

and 2" fits fine with 1 or 2 mm to spare.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Genuine question - why would you use planed timber for joists??

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

If the joists are exposed in the room below?

Reply to
mrcheerful

If they were, that implies the grotty galvanised joist hanger would be exposed too!

But similarly, when would you ever want joists thinner than 2" anyway?

Anyway - thanks for all the replies: I'm now convinced enough that they are wrongly sized for me to march back into Travis Perkins tomorrow with head held high!

David

Reply to
Lobster

They could be designed for the S4S stuff as sold in Wickes.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Beware there are 2 types of joist hanger, one is made from quite flimsy galv strip steel, the other from welded plate.

You want the last for *real* joist hanging ie to butt a joist against a wall instead of inserting it into the wall.

I've never been completely clear as to what the flimsy ones are for - maybe steadying butt joints between timber perhaps? Anyone any ideas?

Also most nominal 2in rough cut joists are not 50mm as you might expect, but 47mm.

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Timber to timber joints.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

addendum to first post (following memory dump)

When I needed quite a few hangers around 7 or 8 years ago I found that TP only had the flimsy ones & weren't very clued up on the subject. That led to a phone around & it quickly became apparent that timber merchants were far better clued up than builders merchants on the subject of hangers. There were 2 timber merchants that had all their hangers out on open shelves & you could take your time choosing.

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

In article , jim_in_sussex writes

Its not a question of there being two types, there are different types of hangar to suit different applications, if you look at the strongtie site you will see many different types to suit different applications, generally the heavier duty ones are for masonry fixing, the lighter duty for timber fixing and don't forget to notch the end of the joist if you are fixing plasterboard so that it fits flush.

Reply to
.

timber fixing and don't forget to notch the end of the joist

HaHa you didn't see diy sos tonight, their solution was to knock F**K out of the bottom lip of the hanger

the BBC has always done the best Comedy programs :-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for all the replies - duly went back to TP today with the offending items "Oh, sorry mate, must have been in the wrong box" and now have a set of hangers which fit perfectly .

I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants [....] I must learn to be more assertive when dealing with builders merchants

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Mark writes

I did see it, made me grin, room looked all right afterwards, I have doubts about the timing of these programs as a lot of what they do needs to dry before they can do much else

Reply to
.